Help with cost to run a truck please?

kermitnz1, Sep 19, 11:11pm
Hi guys, can anyone possibly help me with an idea of what it may cost me for diesel to run a 4 ton furniture truck 437kms? I am trying to work out how much I will need to save to shift from Waimate to Christchurch (round trip). I have the cost of hire, plus the cost of Kms, but know nothing about how much fuel I will need to allow for. Thanks heaps guys.

geordiemotors, Sep 19, 11:49pm
It really depends on how smooth you can drive, what weight is in the back, if its an auto or manual, wind resistance, etc etc. Ring the local courier/ freight company and find out how much it costs them in a similar vehicle. Good luck with your shift to Chch.

mrfxit, Sep 19, 11:56pm
Easy.
The hire center where you are getting the truck from WILL know the average cost of that trip in that truck.

As above,Far too many variables to even guess.

Road type
Engine size & age
Truck size & design
Driver abilities
Total weight
Manual or auto
4/5/ or 6 speed box

johotech, Sep 19, 11:56pm
Probably looking around 20L/100km at the most. So around $100. Might be $80, might be $120 depending how you drive and wind etc on the day. It's a fairly flat trip so it will probably be at the lower end.

kermitnz1, Sep 20, 12:39am
thanks heaps guys!

pestri, Jun 3, 3:32am
My diesel m/home 6 speed manual box weighs in at 3.8T and uses 13-14L/100km. for a loaded truck you might have to allow that it will use 15-20L/100km. if that helps, as somebody sez,, depends on a lot of variables, even the wind direction/loading.