Help please poor fuel mileage

aira_discount, Aug 3, 2:22am
I own a Toyota Starlet 1998 3 door 1.3L

My mechanic said I should be doing roughly 800km from one tank or at least reaching the 700km mark.

If I try I can get roughly 550km per tank. Was he kidding? How can I increase this back to 800km?

Pretty much sums my car up, except it's auto.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-services/reviews/car-reviews/toyota/starlet-life.htm

robotnik, Aug 3, 2:35am
Yeah with a standard automatic transmission on a small car like a Starlet, fuel economy is never going to be particularly good as you lose a lot of energy through the torque converter, etc of the auto transmission. That is why newer cars have moved to more efficient autos like the CVT.

By the way, 550kms out of a tank is not too bad. That equates say 40L used out of a 45L tank when the fuel light goes on, which would be about 7L/100km which is not far off the 6.3L/100km given in that review. If you got 800kms out of a tank like your mechanic says then that would be around 5L/100km which is pretty good even for a much newer car with all the fuel saving technologies on board.

As for improving fuel economy, doing a few things like changing the air filter and running a can of fuel injector cleaner through the petrol might help some.

gsimpson, Aug 3, 2:37am
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/starlet

Average for 1998 is 8.7l/100km which is not that stunning.

pandai, Aug 3, 2:49am
+1, I think it's good mileage. You'd never get 800km.

franc123, Aug 3, 2:49am
Thermostats not working and oxygen sensors playing up are big fuel economy killers, a rise in complaints about excess fuel use in winter is usually because of partly stuck open thermostats. If after a 10km drive from cold you can still hold the top radiator hose with your hand for more than 5 seconds it needs changing. Assuming all OK you might get 700km with gentle open road driving, pure urban running, no way, it will be about 550.

kazbanz, Aug 3, 3:19am
How much are you then putting in the tank after 550km?

ozz1, Aug 3, 3:23am
your in auckland. do you do long runs or short runs? 550km s pretty good.
for city driving. lots of stop /start wont help.1998 starlet may get 650/700 on long open highway driving . if driven . to try and get best economy. mainly it comes down to the driver and conditions. lots of things help. eg dont use air/con, tyres inflated propperly. watching the traffic flow.

msigg, Aug 3, 3:57am
Yes its how and where you drive it. You won't get 800km if ever, to get that you need to be doing a constant speed (80k/90k)for a long time flat roads no stops . go for a drive Auckland/Taupo and back , taking it easy then you might get somewhere near it, also pump your tyres up to 38psi

bryshaw, Aug 3, 4:12am
Well my 96 carby corolla 1.3 only gets 10.5l/100k around town and about 9l/100k on a trip. Wish it was fuel injected.

intrade, Aug 3, 4:22am
your mechanic is in lala land and has smoked to much of the weeds if you ask me.
i have a 1995 corolla 1,3 and its automatic. it does about 7.5 liter per 100km and that is good for a automatic no toyota of the 90s was doing much better Diesel use less fuel then petrol and japanese diesel also use 6 to 7 liter from the 90s only my fiat 1,7 diesel used 5.8 liter diesel.
i get 480 km out of a tank. never drive till its stalls on a fuel injected car you damage the expensive fuel pressure pump in the tank if you run it out of fuel even running it low can make the pump hot and wear it out premature .

gmphil, Aug 3, 4:30am
u need to get it looked at way too much !

toyboy3, Aug 3, 6:41am
If you want to improve fuel economy don't touch the brake pedal

2sheddies, Aug 3, 7:29am
Holy hell that's absurd! I can get very similar economy out of my 4.0 6 cyl Falcon!

intrade, Nov 24, 4:08pm
he probably should clean down the carb but then you can faul the plugs so best to do fuelfilter injector cleaner in fuel tank and clean carb and then fit new plugs and if wires and distributor is old that also and then adjust timing to correct i think 10° befor tdc with a strobe light. depending what fuel you use usually best to use 95 not 91 on these corollas loads less distance to push the throttle on my corolla on 95 then 91
i have a video about how it retards timing on knock detection on 95 corolla efi. dont know if the carb has knock sensor= even more important to run higher octane as knock will destroy bearings if timing dont retards. retarding timing= less power output during that time.