GPS with most affordable map updates?

Page 1 / 2
datoofairy, Jan 3, 5:25am
I have been looking for a cheapish second hand GPS. I've noticed that often the maps are at least a few years old, so will probably need updating. I mainly want to use it on an upcoming trip to ChCh.
I've had a look on some of the manufacturers websites and the cost of updating the maps is far more than I was expecting. One was $180, another was $210.
Is there a reliable GPS brand that isnt so expensive to update?

vtecintegra, Jan 3, 5:29am
Smartphone + Google Maps (requires data for routing) or Here Maps (can work with no connection)

datoofairy, Jan 3, 5:30am
Thanks. But I do want an actual GPS. I dont want to rely on my data and do want it to give me routing info as I drive.

vtecintegra, Jan 3, 5:32am
As above Here Maps will do that just fine

datoofairy, Jan 3, 5:37am
Oh sorry, I thought you meant it was just online maps, without directions. I will check it out, thank you.

ralphdog1, Jan 3, 6:02am
Get a Garmin.
Then go to www.nzopengps.org and free Garmin compatible maps that are updated often are available from there.
You do need to be semi PC/IT literate to get connected and organised but once you are it is easy.

tim41, Jan 3, 6:16am
get a garmin with lifetime updates-real easy

designerliving, Jan 3, 6:19am
you can use your phone without data on, the data is just used to cache the map info. you can do this at home on wifi before you leave. It just needs a GPS signal from there on

billyfieldman, Jan 3, 6:20am
My $130 Garmin comes with free lifetime map updates.

datoofairy, Jan 3, 6:30am
Thanks everyone. I will keep a Garmin in mind, but when I said cheap, I meant I was looking at around $50 for a second hand one. It'll only be used the once.
I'll check out Here Maps properly when I go out tomorrow, they do look pretty good. Or I'll check out Google maps, as I always thought you had to have your data on for it to work, its good to know you dont.
But if they dont work out, I'll look at a Garmin.
Thanks everyone :o)

macman26, Jan 3, 6:44am
My windows phone I downloaded all the NZ maps in one hit. I just update it now and then. Also has inbuilt speed alert. No need to connect to data. Works better than my old Android phone.

bwg11, Jan 3, 7:01am
My $109 one does too.

skin1235, Jan 3, 7:52am
I've just downloaded Here Maps, (free) and the NZ map also free( via wifi so no phone data used), set it to work offline, and set up home point, and asked for directions to a known spot

it took less than 30 seconds to do, and takes me directly there, all corners etc just like your Garmin does, no data usage

uses gps location to work so phone must be capable and location must be turned on

I will certainly be keeping that app

illusion_, Jan 3, 8:17am
Smartphone with Sygic

gps that works direct from satelites , no data required (keep it turned off) . Free app, free map updates

timmo1, Jan 3, 7:26pm
The various open streetmaps apps are good too and allow you to download a country's worth of data onto your SD card: Really handy for overseas travel. OsmAnd is the android app and I think there is one for apple and windows phone too, all free.

jdeere8130, Jan 4, 12:04am
Here maps for me too. More up to date than Google maps as well I find. Definitely don't go to Christchurch with an out of date gps, you'll tear your hair out!

datoofairy, Jan 4, 3:21am
I went to several destinations today using the Here app and I am really impressed. Its no different to a regular GPS and worked very well.
At first I was a bit annoyed by the constant beeping every time I went 1km over the speed limit but I soon worked out that it could be turned off, or set to only notify when going over by a chosen amount.
I like that I can enter street addresses as well as locations such as 'Spotlight Dunedin'.
I see no need to buy a GPS unit now and am very pleased I asked here before paying for one.
To be honest, I just didnt expect an app to be that great. I wondered why people would pay so much for GPS's and map upgrades if a free app was just as good. I'm still baffled why anyone would pay for GPS when they can have this for free but I guess those people are like I was and just didnt know.
Now I just need to buy a dash mount, easy as.
Thanks so much vtecintegra for recommending it first, and to everyone else who has offered suggestions and advise. Much appreciated :o)

rz_zone, Jan 4, 3:23am
Waze is also another on, but you do need data for it.

noswalg, Jan 4, 3:26am
I had sygic a few years back but here maps is a far superior app IMO

intrade, Jan 4, 3:26am
mounts look at dx.com

skin1235, Jan 4, 4:16am
I was very impressed too, very easy to install, and works very well 'straight out of the box'

I did note that for some rural addresses the satellite view is very dated, in one instance by about 5 yrs, but town views seem to be quite current, I did also wonder if ChCh views would be current enough, theres a lot of changes happening on the roading issues there

datoofairy, Jan 4, 4:20am
I'm a bit concerned about the roads in ChCh too, but I figure those potential issues would be the same no matter what GPS system I was using. We will be sticking to the main areas mainly so I'm fairly confident that even if we get slightly off track, we'll soon be on the right road again.

jdeere8130, Jan 4, 5:51am
You'll get around ChCh piece of cake with Here maps.

thewomble1, Jan 5, 7:11am
I use a GPS because I don't have a mobile phone and I don't want to own one and don't want to pay a monthly etc fee to use the phone. Once the GPS unit is purchased the up-dates etc are free (at least my TOMTOM GPS is). You can also load a location ie Spotlight Dunedin and a GPS will find it. Does the phone application show set speed camera sites, service stations, parking buildings, sites of interest?

deus701, Mar 23, 6:35pm
I use Garmin Gps, and free map updates via community websites which include up to date POI like speed cameras, etc.

In saying that, Garmin Gps did lead me through some guys paddock in dunedin. As for phone gps, there are some places it does not have any network or picks up gps really slow. eg milford sounds.