Car dies

Page 1 / 2
lindi4, Dec 24, 10:44am
What could be wrong with my nissan blubird when driving along the engine light comes on and the car dies. what could possibly be wrong?

intrade, Dec 24, 10:55am
i dont know let me see if i can find my magic class ball and my wizard wand for you. with a vague discription of make and symptoms .

marte, Dec 24, 11:03am
What could be wrong?
Well. Your car died.

intrade, Dec 24, 11:04am
only thing that remotly could help is
"the engine light comes on and the car dies"
does the engine light come on before or after the car dies?
because its normal to come on when the car has died= its back to where it was before you start the car where the light is illuminated till the car is on again.
also i dont know what light you talk my 1982 version ld20 diesel bluebird i once had had no such light you seem to talk about.

gammelvind, Dec 24, 5:37pm
Just a suggestion, there a a number here that can be helpfull but only when there is sufficient information such as year, model, engine type, manual/auto etc. Any other info such as any other work done recently.

exwesty, Dec 24, 6:02pm

exwesty, Dec 24, 6:03pm
We need the colour too.

kiwitrader43, Dec 24, 6:17pm
Have a friend check the battery leads, oil level, water level and spark plug leads for you.
Failing that, join the AA.

nightboss, Dec 24, 6:18pm
Your cellphone is draining too much power through the cigarette lighter outlet. Stop talking, texting and taking selfies while driving and first problem is solved.

franc123, Dec 24, 6:44pm
Without knowing year and engine, wild wild guess, crank angle sensor. Obviously it needs a scan first to confirm, if it restarts after being left for a period that's even more likely.

lindi4, Dec 24, 7:34pm
Thanks for input, some of it positive. It died on someone that has bought it and got down the road and KA-PUT. Got towed home and money given back. It is a 1996 sss manual sedan 1800cc. Ive just had the clutch done on it. Battery is flat after towing with light on, now so have to charge that first. Its still got its oil level full.

kazbanz, Dec 24, 7:39pm
lindi- Just to explain. The engine check light WILL come on after the engine has stalled/died. The question is Did it actually come on BEFORE the engine died?
ONE explaination is simply that the people couldn't actually drive a manual.
Does yours require the clutch fully depressed before it runs?
Was yours running perfectly well before they took it?

supernova2, Dec 24, 9:11pm
Oh dear.

It was nice of you to refund the purchase but Ii do so hope that the problem wasn't caused by the buyer driving like an idiot.

Charge up the battery and see what happens - be prepared to shut it off real quick if its making odd noises or vibrations etc.

holdensorfords, Dec 24, 9:43pm
It will be one of these problems: Problem 1. Alternator isn't doing it's job sufficiently to keep the car running or to charge the battery or Problem 2. The charge belt has let go. Either, Problem 1. find someone to do brushes & regulator or Problem 2. Put on new charge belt.

tamarillo, Dec 25, 12:56am
Is that allowed? I mean I know we have free choice these days but surely you have to choose one! If you were in Aussie they'd BBQ you on the Bathurst hill.

holdensorfords, Dec 25, 1:53am
for you blokes it's not, but for us women, we have a thing called Prerogative/Perogative or however you'd like to spell it.

m16d, Dec 25, 2:29am
I would bet 10 bob to a knob of goat shit that the new owner has done something stupid to cause this.

kazbanz, Dec 25, 2:30am
My money is on either operator error or AFM

nz2293, Dec 25, 4:32am
my thoughts exactly but i sold a car it had little gas in it and yep they put diesel instead of unleaded and yep they wanted money back

lindi4, Dec 28, 7:49am
Im just charging battery but wondering if crank angle sensor is an expensive job to do if its that

marte, Dec 28, 2:14pm
Ah, try the cheaper more obvious possibilitys first.

lindi4, Dec 30, 6:13am
apparantly its the fuel pump and gee they are $250 to buy so looking at second hand.

intrade, Dec 30, 6:24am
whom told you its the fuel pump? what are the fuel pressure readings they took?
and how exactly did they conclude this ?

intrade, Dec 30, 6:26am
also are you a guy whom puts 5$ fuel in the tank and drives till its out of gas?
or do you keep your fuel level always high and hardly ever get it to the low fuel level?

morrisman1, Dec 30, 12:12pm
fuel pump cant trigger a check engine light on a SR18 bluebird.