Trailer LED dim?

ambo11, Feb 28, 6:19am
The left indicator lights on our trailer have suddenly become very dim, all individual LEDS are working,but dim. as in dim enough to not see in the daylight. The brake and tail on the same side are still bright. I looked at wiring connections on both towing vehicle and trailer, (and the other trailer is fine hooked up to the van) but all good and clean. So my question is, do LEDs go dim when failing? Earth must be good as other LEDs are bright. Seems weird. chinese LEDs of course but wondering if they have got moisture in and have failed? Anyone else had this problem? Cheers

franc123, Feb 28, 6:27am
Yes quite likely. Have seen corrosion of the circuit board cause that issue.

clark20, Feb 28, 6:31am
Still check the earth, never assume.

Then go buy some real ones at BNT

skin1235, Feb 28, 7:05am
the cluster of side lights will have a track to the earth, as does the cluster for brakes, and the cluster for indicators
the earth peg maybe making perfect contact but if the track is dicy the led's will be dim

bigfatmat1, Feb 28, 7:14am
Check the power wire may have vd

mrcat1, Mar 1, 9:27pm
VD? it may have a Venereal Disease? well I suppose the OP did say its F*&ked.

mrcat1, Mar 2, 1:23am
Really? is that really what he was referring too? No I don't think so, it had nothing to do with any voltage droop.

tony9, Mar 2, 1:40am
LED's are constant current devices, with a power supply capable of a wide range of input devices. Most likely the sub-module for the left indicators is faulty. There will be a different sub-module for each "bulb" (which is really a set of LED's in series). Most likely you will need a new module, which may mean a new lamp set.

clark20, Mar 2, 5:22am
A lot of the cheap ones are "dumb" , no supply regulation, thats why they are cheap

unideck, Mar 2, 6:39am
Thats half the problem mate, we only carry the Alko range here now, made in NZ (Hamilton) under the Narva range. 6 to 30v brand new pair 125x125 lights $30 - The "others" were coming into NZ at $15.00 a pair, gets what ya pay for aye

clark20, Mar 2, 6:44am
Really? I though the only ones made here are Hella

Do you get called on by Wern?

unideck, Mar 2, 8:25am
No, I deal direct with Alko ;)

unideck, May 21, 12:43pm
I understand the Narva is under licence but hey, could be wrong. I do buy 99% of my trailer parts here, steel, ply, lights etc. Suspension is ex UK (as in Alko)