Jeep Grand Cherokee

gedc, Dec 10, 11:33am
If any of the major components - suspension, bearings etc go then you will be paying more for them than a normal 4 door family saloon. I've had a couple of jeeps and they've both been fair to middling on servicing. No worse or less than other cars I've owned. Tyres can be frightening if you've been used to paying $80 for 16 inchers

ralphdog1, Dec 10, 11:33am
Too late to be worried, he owns it now.

squara, Dec 10, 11:43am
thanks for your input, but until money has changed hands its anybodys game, cheers

shakespeare6, Dec 10, 12:08pm
Good wagons, the 4L 6 is a pretty reliable motor they don't have to many issues. The Grand has the nice big radiator so doesn't suffer the over heating issues the earlier ones did with towing. Real good economy open road for a 4wd not to bad around town. We bought a 97 grand for 5k had it for 5 years did a water pump, and set of tyres traveled 60,000 Km and sold it for 4 k not to bad.
Parts are pretty well priced nothing fancy. And if you really want you can buy every bit you would ever need of bayE for a song.
Still own a jeep and will probably own a few more

squara, Dec 10, 12:28pm
Thanks so much, advice I really need, I appreciate it!

unideck, Dec 10, 2:06pm
Thats strong money for a 96! Great vehicle all the same. I have one here but its the 2001 V8, never missed a beat and done over 100,000kms in it, should have waited a wee while as ours will be up for grabs soon for not much more than what you paid. Just keep an eye on the front wheel bearings on these as they are kinda vulnerable. They are cheap so no panic. If you change the diff oil be sure to buy the additive from Jeep, don't be fooled by all the nonsense that normal diff oil will do - it won't and you will cook the diff in a few short drives. The additive is approx $27 and its a genuine Mopar product. The straight six has a ton of power and all mine have been cheap to run maintenance wise (owned six).

tony9, Dec 10, 7:05pm
Ah, No. He entered into a contract and now owes the seller the agreed price.

Unless it can be demonstrated that the ad was misleading. Just above the Confirm button he clicked to bid is this text "If you win this auction, you are legally obligated to complete your purchase."

daryl14, Dec 11, 2:31am
When did you prove this in court?

monaro17, Dec 11, 2:57am
Absolutely correct- you bid you win it is yours and you are not only morally obliged to pay for it you are LEGALLY obliged to pay for it.

not to mention Trademe take a very dim view on people not going ahead with purchases especially cars etc

monaro17, Dec 11, 3:00am
I'm afraid not. Its exactly the same as buying house at auction- you can't win the auction then decide actually no I don't want it anymore and not buy it.

As for the car itself, it will likely be ok. However they are horrendously thirsty and a little ponderous to drive. But if he likes it then good on him- that's all that matters

monaro17, Dec 11, 3:05am
Good lord what are you comparing it to? :)

Friends of ours had one of these as a hack a few years back and also at the same time had a then brand new Ford Territory Ghia Turbo. I recall them saying the Ford was noticeably more economical than the jeep

tony9, Dec 11, 3:09am
Not me, personally. But it has been proven many times in court. The seller would have no issue getting summary judgement against the buyer, if they were that way inclined.

Of course many reasonable buyers would attempt to negotiate resolution, but they are not obliged too.

2get1, Dec 11, 3:30am
hope your boy likes buying petrol. they are gas guzzling pigs. The V8 version gets better economy than the 6cyl one does. Ive driven both for extended periods, town and trip and the 6cyl was very heavy on fuel.

a.woodrow, Dec 11, 5:09am
Attitudes like this disgust me. Does no one have integrity anymore?

monaro17, Dec 11, 5:22am
Agreed. I don't want to speak out of turn and sound harsh as I do not know the OP at all but I don't know whether it is ignorance or arrogance

sw20, Dec 11, 7:11am
Thanks. I've added you to my blacklist, I don't want to deal with people that think winning an auction still gives them right of refusal.

tony9, Dec 11, 7:27am
Son as well (the winner of the auction).

gman35, Dec 11, 8:41am
OP Sounds like the type of person who wouldn't run a full (or genuine ) no reserve auction either with that attitude.

tub4, Dec 11, 8:54am
It's all in the name, JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

pestri, Jun 29, 9:17am
I used to have a Honda Integrity.