Squeaky motor during warm up.

melonhead1, Dec 17, 12:56am
My vq20 in an a32(yes, its too small for this car but who cares, haha) motor makes a small squeak every about every 2 seconds a few minutes after a cold start and once it has warmed up it stops.
Is this bad? I reckon it is. I think its a chain guide but it sounds like its coming from somewhere else so goodness only knows.

cammey, Dec 17, 1:00am
Seeing as its a guess the problem thread, here is my guess.
Someone has run the wrong oil in it, or has not changed the oil enough. The tiny holes that feed oil to the cams need clean, low viscosity oil, and if they don't get it, the cams suffer poor lubrication and eventually develop a squeek.

melonhead1, Dec 17, 1:02am
Okie dokie, cheers. I've always had 5w-30 in it but yes, it probably had poor oil in it before me. Oh well, until it blows up I spose. It otherwise runs sweetly though so it seems a shame.

franc123, Dec 17, 2:13am
Check its not a drive belt issue first, remember immediately after a cold start is when the alternator is working the hardest.

melonhead1, Dec 17, 2:34am
I will. Thanks for that idea. I know the tensioner on one of the belts has a bit of play in it so I spose it should be changed anyway, its just that the squeak sounds like its coming from the centre of the motor.

ridiculousness, Dec 17, 4:09am
yes I would check the drive belts before thinking it is an oil feed problem.

nzmax, Dec 17, 7:33am
Im going with drive belts too. Recently had the same issue with my A32 Maxima VQ30. Had drive belts replaced at last service, and squeak fixed.

melonhead1, Jun 2, 6:08pm
Cheers for the info guys. I'll get those belts sorted.