VW Bora Dash Error - Alternator Workshop

rayonline_tm, Oct 17, 5:21am
We got the above error. Took it to VW Wellington, they did a scan and it was advised of a malfunction in the cooling system. Work to be done for the thermostat, coolant, temp sensor, thermo seal. $536.

So does that means the alternator is fine? In the past year we did get "Check Coolant" error but we imported a genuine sensor and popped that in. It was maybe a bit low on coolant, we added a bit of distilled water. We haven't had issues ever since. Maybe the coolant error was because we didn't reset the computer (?). But how's the alternator?

franc123, Oct 17, 5:27am
WTF has the alternator got to do with anything? Unless you are getting low voltage codes, got starting issues or general flat battery symptoms its probably fine. Get an auto sparky to check the charging system if it bothers you.

rayonline_tm, Oct 17, 5:42am
The error in the dashboard said "Alternator Workshop".

Google search said potential alternator replacement?

Took it to VW, they did a scan and said we need to fix the cooling system?

gunhand, Oct 17, 5:52am
Alternator is prob German for "take it to zee verkshop now."
Or, take to an alternative workshop as a VW dealer will just rip you off.

mrfxit, Oct 17, 6:00am
LOL. Nice

intrade, Oct 17, 6:34am
ok i fail to see the whole lot i have a bora also and i dont know where you get ?Alternator Workshop from , was that displayed on the tini lcd display in the dash cluster in words or what exactly

and what are the codes found ?
if you replace a sensor and ignition is on when you unplug it it sets a permanent error code any car does even my 95 corolla.
what is the error code the garage bases there work on?
also what year is the bora

rayonline_tm, Oct 17, 6:49am
Bora 04.
The report only shows:
17704 35 P1296 Malfunction in cooling system (lost 23 static).

When they changed the sensor car was off.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alternator+workshop&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I wasn't driving at the time .

intrade, Oct 17, 6:55am
so did you clear the last set ect code?
after replacment back then?

rayonline_tm, Oct 17, 6:57am
We don't have a electronic tool. So no.

intrade, Oct 17, 7:04am
What you need to do is check if the coolant temp sender works either with a vw scantool or even a global obd2 tool.
provided it is petrol and not diesel my diesel dont talks on "obd2 diagnostic-global-emissions&qu-
ot;
if its a petrol engine it should show the coolant sensor on them 15$ elm scantools
after the coolant sensor is confirmed ok you erase the code
because the code was set before the last repair and no one cleard it its still there.
after a week you would want to recheck for the code to be sure its nothing else . here the professional discription for your code and how to test.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17704/P1296/004758

intrade, Oct 17, 7:10am
so global obd freez frame data anything with emission is global obd2 and temperature is emission as it needs to operate at correct temperature for meeting emissions. alternator however is not emissions for that you need a oscilloscope or the rosstech-vcds tool
most common problem is the fuses links on top of the battery what i can think off might have to do with alternator message.
look at the condition of them fuses for corrosion white powder they can even burn up in there.

intrade, Oct 17, 7:23am
now here is what i think might be your alt problem .
this guy is a professional there is plenty wrong stuff on you-nobe
whatch that video for a possible fix on your charge problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJl-wyZO87c

rayonline_tm, Oct 17, 8:27am
Someone has a cheap device on eBay. Found no errors. I used Torque Free and OBD Car Doctor on my Android phone.

The device is "ELM 327 Interface".

Cheers for the video will look into tomorrow.

intrade, Oct 31, 9:24am
you find no codes for dash cluster as that is not the global obd2 room these cheap tools can only do the global obd2= emission only codes .
rosstech vcds is needed to pull all factory set errors. you probably have a few

mrcat1, Dec 10, 2:32am
Why not just take it back to VW Wellington and tell them you want them to check for codes and delete them, sort out any issues and move on?