Smallest, lightest weight alternator?

geedubu, Aug 26, 7:16am
Thinking of refitting an alternator to my pre-65; MG 1600 engine, currently running without one.What is a good pick-a-part from a small modern that is as small & light as possible, with internal fan & internal regulator!Doesn't need too much output as it only has to power an electric fan (when stopped) and throw a good amount of grunt into electronic ignition.The Lucas originals were around around 35a on a good day so output prob not an issue.Size & weight are the main things I'd be looking for.

pollymay, Aug 26, 7:38am
The ones off small deisels. Like small kubotas, jacobson mowers etc. They are V-belt drive and simple to mount, often used on small aircraft and such.

unclejake, Aug 26, 8:05am
The Nippon-Denso units from Kubota tractors seem identical to Daihatsu Charade but I am not certain of what year.

If you are running a Pre65 race car (that isn't clear) and plan on a steel crank then you will need to fit an MSD 6AL which will need some reasonable current. An alternator and electric water pump on a small Pre65 motor is worth the weight IMHO

pollymay, Aug 26, 8:41am
Yeah they are just a denso units, they even have the wiring on the sticker :), I find the tractor ones easy to get a hold of. Maybe it's just the industry I've been in since a kid that makes it easy though

geedubu, Aug 26, 8:44am
It is a pre-65 race car, has steel crank, has electronic ignition.I imagine the output from one of the alternators described would be enough!.

unclejake, Aug 26, 12:11pm
Yes, the output will be enough but when I was involved if you had a steel crank a MSD6AL was mandatory as a rev limiter. The MSD needs current so an alternator is a great idea.

Pre65 attracts red flags so a total loss charging system adds stress to the situation (as does a mechanical waterpump)

smac, Aug 26, 8:37pm
geedubu do a search on the ausmini.com forums. Plenty of mini guys now run the kutoba type thing mentioned above, also some small jappas will fit with just bracket changes like charade, swift etc (I realise you're not running an A series but similar demands).

geedubu, Aug 26, 9:06pm
thanks jake, you are right about the red flag situation, that & other unplanned stoppages were my concern as a potential newbie in pre-65.

plasticboys, Aug 27, 3:00am
zxr750 just like a car one but small or other motorbike ones would do

ceebee2, Aug 27, 6:35am
I have retro fitted many older Holden alternators to different cars and they are magic as they pump out a min. of 40A up to 80A depending on the model and have the reg and brush set bolted to the outside of it so you dont need to remove the alt for brushes or reg. Heaps of old holden wrecks around (BOSCH) alternators of course.

rlr29, Aug 27, 10:59pm
Use a fully charged battery and scrap the alternator altogether.

bigfatmat1, Aug 28, 12:09am
you could use a small honda one the reason I mention this the four pin alternators have a field switch connected to ecu so under acceleration will cut power to the field and stop charging creating more available hp I do realise small kubota ones are smaller just a thought for ya. Of course you dont need a ecu you could modify the input to suit your car

geedubu, Aug 28, 3:24am
hi rlr29 - already runs with a fully charged battery & no alternator, but thinking about adding back a small alternator to cope with stops/restarts and also to drive an electric fan if I install one (currently doesn't run a fan either).It's a midfield runner at best so small impediment to outright performance by adding back these items, gaining a little in convenience as a benefit.

rlr29, Aug 28, 3:47am
Somewhat agree with this, but as the car will be at or near full noise the whole time, it'll never do it's job.Abigger pulley on it so that it spins slower, might work.One off a CRX is tiny and fully contained.

geedubu, Aug 28, 4:51am
Anything else I need to know about getting a lightweight alternator for a 50yr old 4cyl B-series racing engine (and thanks for the input so far, very handy)

skydog, Oct 2, 9:05am
I have a nissan A15 in my Austin Healy Sprite, I use a mitzi Lancer alternator from a 4g 15 engine.Much improved over the lucas one.
Easy conversion