Rear axle bearing puller and slide hammer.

kwm30, Dec 9, 2:10am
Hi there, anyone know if autoshops rent these types of tools, also needing a slide hammer to pull my pressed bearing of a jeep rear axle (housing)
I've looked everywhere in nz, (god we are the sticks here)
This is essentially what i need
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6540-Rear-Bearing-Puller/dp/B002XMSIVQ The bearings are pressed inside the axle shaft housing http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4655382696_c8befee8cd_b.jpg

Or if you have any advice on getting one of these off?

cheers
k

bjmh, Dec 9, 3:42am
the bearing puller you show probably won't do it ,I would put a rag down the tube . break out the inner race /rollers cage . then run a weld around the actual bearing race,when the weld cools just pluck out the bearing with a pry bar.

bjmh, Dec 9, 3:44am
had another look at your picture,you sure the housing doesn't unbolt from the diff housing ?

mrcat1, Dec 9, 6:52am
Sykes or Toledo do a bearing puller like that shown, go to a good engineering shop instead of the likes off Super Sheep.

rachyd, Dec 9, 8:47am
I think there are bolts inside diff head to undo before the axle will come out then get them on a press

michelle322, Dec 9, 9:01am
I would go to a Engineering shop with a measurement of the bearing, Show them that photo of the bearing,Tell them make a slide hammer something like in photo.And also get them to make a tube with plate on the end to drive the new bearing back in.

snoopy221, Dec 9, 9:13am
What retains the axle you removed?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4655382696_c8befee8cd_b.jpg

Presumably a collar and that is your pic?-I.E. exposed thread-presumption is collar removed axle removed and nuts done up again.
(Similar to a DANA-but no obvious ability to space set axles)

You do realise a kiwi number 8 wire speights drinkin houer would remove the diff head and use a long steel rod and a sledgehammer?
However a bent rod and a weld WILL shrink the bearing once the rollers have been removed and it WILL fall out-K

poppy62, Dec 9, 9:16am
Can you not get a 3 legged puller with the legs (inverted) facing out, in the bearing? The rollers look like they are well retained and held by the retaining ring and bearing face. I'd try the 3 (or 2 ) legged puller crank it up and apply some heat around the outside of the housing.

kwm30, Dec 10, 3:55am
snoopy21, c clips retain the axle in the spider gears in the rear diff.
we tried to jerry rig up a pivot puller as seen on the photos, not much success.
A 3 prong works (grabs the back of the bearing)but cannot fit anything in between to give it something to push against.
Your suggestion of a weld might work. will give it it try. thanks.
its a dana 35 diff on a grand jeep Cherokee. dam 6month warrants.
cheers for the advice guys.

k

mals69, Dec 10, 4:33am
Had same need - alibaba & alibabaexpress

panicky, Dec 10, 4:36am
Did you fail a WOF on too much end float?

kwm30, Dec 10, 4:40am
noisy bearing on the drivers side rear axle. can you believe it.
the axle on which the bearing rides on is a little pitted, but not severe.
mals69. would you like to rent out your puller for a dozen or two?

panicky, Dec 10, 4:44am
I wondered as hey are basically a 1950's Chev truck design from the dark ages and have end float new. I have seen a number fail warrants, but that is how they are.

lookoutas, Dec 10, 6:22am
You're the man.

NZTools, Dec 10, 8:20pm
You called? ;p

mm12345, Dec 10, 8:40pm
Just to clarify, is running a weld around the shell so that when the weld cools it shrinks back a bit, hopefully loosening the shell a bit so it pops out easily?
I guess a seal goes in there over the bearing, should something be used to protect the surface where the seal fits from splatter, or will it probably be okay?

mals69, Dec 10, 8:59pm
Sorry for not being clear but never got round to buying one was a bearing
in motorbike hub so managed to knock it out from otherside.
Alibaba does have them, guys were selling them on here for 3 times the price at the time.
If you youtube removing blind bearing etc there are plenty of
videos of guys removing bearing with bread - I kid you not.

lookoutas, Dec 11, 4:47am
You'd need a fair bit of bread to chock that hole up!

You could slip a bit of exhaust tube in there to protect the surface if running a weld.

mals69, Dec 22, 3:24am
Bread cheap

gmphil, May 18, 1:04am
air saw split bearing !