Jayco caravans? Recommendations?

devine-spark, Jan 4, 10:44pm
Looking at these based on a friend saying it is best to get an aluminium caravan as opposed to a fibreglass one because they are easier to repair. Also she said to look at a dual axle to be better fixed to go on rough roads. I need to buy one that is self contained. I am a newbie to caravans so would love some ideas. I have about 25 - 30k to spend and need an island bed. Any models anyone can suggest, or even not Jayco, I will be keen to hear about.

tony9, Jan 4, 10:59pm
To get an island bed you need to avoid UK and most continental vans, they are too narrow.

A slideout will help a lot as far as overall space is concerned.

Personally I would prefer fibreglass over aluminium, better insulation and minor scratches etc are easier to tidy up.

Without a doubt Jayco or a good NZ one will cause you less hassle, if you do go for a North American one, the electrical wof can be a hassle, just because it has one when you buy it, it does not follow that renewal will be easy.

The motor home club in NZ can be useful, but it can also be an expensive waste if you don't fully utilise it.

devine-spark, Jan 5, 3:06am
Thanks Tony, I didn't realise fibreglass would be a better insulator.
What brands are NZ made?

tony9, Jan 5, 3:53am
TrailLite and Leisure Line would be the two biggies.

BTW, it is usually not fiberglass OR aluminum construction. Most use both (front and back are typically fiberglass or similar) and modern walls are a composite which may use both.

thewomble1, Jan 5, 6:57am
Watch which side the door opens on. Some American ones open onto the road where as others open towards the footpath.

captaink, Jan 5, 8:46am
Which side the door opens on is of zero importance in a caravan but most likely you won't buy a decent American one in your price bracket so that doesn't matter, also the regs for electrical compliance have been relaxed so that is not the problem it once was, Trailite has not been a biggie in the NZ market for years, in fact were selling Leisurelines and now are agents for Bailey, sadly they priced their bespoke vans off the market.
Tandems tow more smoothly, single axle more lively but easier to push around onto a site, depending on ground clearance either is fine on any NZ conditions.
I've owned 11 Jayco's, only one didn't leak,hence I call them' Leako's ' and 'heavios' designed primarily for the Australian market, extremely heavy on the towball, everyone in Australia uses Reese type couplings to compensate, plus quality of workmanship on the production line leaves a lot to be desired but they build a lot of vans so all can't be wrong, . which type of construction is best will never be resolved, every method has its benefits at any given time IF it needs repair, hopefully yours never will.
Relax and find a van that suits your needs, ie layout, sleeping arrangements, etc check it over as best you can, no problem is ever terminal (as long as it is not a Euro van) then just go out and enjoy.touring NZ

devine-spark, Jan 5, 9:14am
Thanks captaink - we will!
I take it you were able to fix your leako's . seemings as you continued to buy them?
Our budget is slightly malleable . but don't want to put too much into it.
Looking at a Jayco discovery, and a sterling this week.

devine-spark, Jan 6, 2:59pm
What brands have good reputations?

captaink, Jan 6, 7:41pm
Good reputations will vary from person to person. All vans will leak somewhere at some time. Older style Kiwi & Aussie vans were easier to fix newer vans need tradesman for a professional finish but build quality is improving. Trailite were a very nicely built van but hard to find, Leisureline pretty good but not a lot in your price bracket yet, be very very careful of Euro vans although again 2009/2010 models and newer are better built vans but still very 'light' in all their fittings. Try and check a van after it has been raining if at all possible and a cheap damp meter is a great investment, not just when buying but as a part of routine checks. Better to catch a leak before it shows as damage as by the time you can see it it has probably been leaking for a long time, particularly solid wall vans.
As above you just need to check carefully. in corners , back of cupboards, roof wall joints etc. A van that is used regularly is less likely to leak than one that sits unused for long periods.

hfc2, Jan 7, 2:05am
We have Jayco Westport, 2001 great van fully insulated , island bed with pop out living area. Van is 3 tonne travels nicely but are a wee bit low to the ground which can be an issue on rough ground ( we freedom camp a lot).

tony9, Jan 7, 3:38am
Not that I am aware of (I am a sparky). Last publication was 2011, and that warns that previous electrical wofs on North American vans may not pass now.

BTW, there is a great deal of variation in the issuing of these wofs, this may bite you in the butt at some stage.

cammey, Jan 7, 4:53am
I had a Jayco. It leaked. And I felt the quality of things like the low voltage wiring was terrible. The few fuses they used were located above wet batteries, and generally the entire thing was very average. Nonetheless, I always look at other vans of all makes, and the low voltage wiring always seems to be abysmal.

Tonys point on the mains wiring for US vans is also very valid. If the cable used is only rated for 110v, its very expensive to replace. But in general if the cable is up to the job, everything else can be fixed.

devine-spark, Jan 7, 8:36am
Came across a big scam today with a caravan. Ended up with interpol being involved. hopefully they will catch him, or at least put him off. Luckily I sleuthed it before risking any money.

skiff1, Mar 12, 6:04pm
good work, caravans seem to often crop up in scams.