UK Caravans

kam04, Feb 18, 11:18pm
I 've been told not to buy a UK caravan that doesn't have a CRIS (Caravan Registration & Identification Scheme) document. Apparently it determines whether or not the van has been in an accident or flood damaged. I was also told many UK caravans are being imported into NZ as write offs in UK.
Anyone on here bought a UK caravan with one of these documents?

twink19, Feb 18, 11:34pm
bought one 18 months ago from a dealer in Tauranga. all complied to NZ standards. I have had no issues at all with it. One dealer I know used to say no good, now he stocks and sells them

franc123, Feb 18, 11:51pm
Yeah well lol what else are they going to stock other than those or Aussie, NZ built vans haven't been made in any quantity for 30 years+. Haven't seen this document but if they exist it would pay to have it, there definitely has been stolen and written off/repaired cheap in UK vans show up here.

tamarillo, Feb 19, 12:29am
Have you talked to caravan repairers here? Know one guy down south that hates uk ones as they are very expensive and complicated to fix in any accident even minor. He is a younger chap (40s) so it's not just old school talk, he fixes caravans as living and advised pay extra for traditional construction Aussie of kiwi vans if you want long life and easy repairs.
Uk ones do have lots of features so and p prices is right.
If it is already on road or from dealer who will put it on road I guess nothing to worry about.

mojo49, Jun 9, 9:59pm
Bought two. Would not even look at one without checking CriS. Cheap, easy and gives you some confidence in vans history and ownership status. Worked with an importer for 2nd van last year. He has brought in over 60 in 2 years and pays for a CriS before he pays for every van in the UK. Just common sense when you are spending that much money.