Nissan caravans/urvan

kid_dynamo, Aug 6, 11:05pm
anybody here know much about the nissan caravan/urvans im looking at around a 09 van. I like the look of these,they are in my price range my only issue is that im unsure if i want to go the petrol or diesel route. The 2 litre petrol seems a bit underpowered and could be thirsty because of this. on the otherside the 3l diesel seems to be pretty good but with the ruc and diesel it works out pretty expensive. annyone have some valuable knowledge they care to share? is there another van thats around 10k thats better?

stevo2, Aug 7, 5:50am
They are "Not Bad" vans. You are correct in saying the petrol is underpowered and could be a bit thirsty. It is cheaper to buy so that may offset some of the running costs. The diesel is torquier and goes reasonably well.
I would suggest that the diesel would be cheaper to run after about 10,000km per annum. If you did 15,000km per annum the petrol would cost you about $300 to $500 more than the diesel to run.
Bear in mind that your $10k is going to buy you a high mileage vehicle and if major mechanical repairs are required, they will cost more on a diesel.
Generally speaking, they are both quite reliable vans that should keep working for quite some time.

mrfxit, Aug 7, 8:14am
Pro's & Cons.

Petrol .
Dearer to run per trip
Cheaper for low yearly km's
Better acceleration when empty
Thirsty when fully laden but still reasonable acceleration
Cheaper to fix (parts prices)
Longer fluids maintenance schedule
Lower purchase price
Lower resale price
Not as desirable for a work vehicle
No separate RUC's but thats auto paid at the fuel pump

Diesel .
Cheaper per trip
Cheaper for 10k & higher per year
Acceleration is about the same empty or fully laden
Economy is about the same empty or fully laden
Shorter fluids maintenance schedule
Higher purchase price
Higher resale price
Highly desirable as a work vehicle.
If doing high kms per year, RUC's don't really matter in regards to overall economy & usability

In general, obviously between two otherwise identical models but diesel or petrol .
The diesel version handles loads & heavy work, better then the same model petrol version.
Suspensions/ gearbox's & motors are simply built stronger on the diesel versions (in a lot of cases)

5000 to 10,000 kms per year = Petrol
10,000 kms plus = Diesel

Light duty service = Petrol
Heavy duty service = Diesel

tamarillo, Aug 7, 9:09am
Stevo and mrfixit deserve a beer.

intrade, Aug 7, 9:38am
i was just thinking mrfixit probably done research. i just know from default the newer stuff is the more expensive the problems will be and the more frequent due to having loads+loads computers instead of one or zero .

kid_dynamo, Aug 7, 9:48am
thanks everyone some awesome info.

kazbanz, Aug 7, 10:25am
Based on stock sold the 2000cc petrol is a gutless wonder. The 2.5l petrol has grunt but is thirsty. The Diesel is likely best bet in this case but will need a "good run" regularly to ensure the particulate filter gets hot for long enough --sorry I might be using the wrong name for it.

mrfxit, Aug 7, 10:45am
Bourbon please ;-)

mrfxit, Aug 7, 10:50am
Yep pretty much right.
Basically, those later model vehicles need a 15 minute highway speed run to clear the filter properly.
Not sure on timeline/ km's but I have heard that if you get caught with a compulsory clean demand from the onboard computer system, then it has to be done right then, no matter what you are doing otherwise.

Probably something like a 15/20 minute highway run once a week could be enough to keep that filter clean

mrfxit, Aug 7, 10:56am
Part research/ part experience
Because I don't do high km's per year but need the daily economy & torque of the diesel plus load capacity. I prefer diesels for my business, so have had to juggle good verses bad/ Diesel verses Petrol.

On a side note, one of the (to me) glaringly obvious reasons why theres a lot of large SUV/ 4x4 vehicles sliding off the road, is that ppl call them "cars" & drive accordingly.

A "Car" is not a large SUV/4x4, it is in fact, far closer to a light truck for just about everything & running fancy road tyres, isn't going to help much.

stevo2, Aug 7, 5:06pm
What a great idea but I've just got home from work and made myself a big arsed Latte'
Going to Hamilton tomorrow for my sons engagement party so will have my beer(s) then.
Cheers Stevo

stevo2, Aug 7, 5:08pm
Does an '09 Urvan even have a DPF?

kid_dynamo, Aug 7, 7:42pm
what van would you guys recommend. I got 10k to spend. I probably do around 7-8000 km a year. I prefer diesel vans as all the petrol ones ive driven are gutless as and use heaps of fuel but if there a good petrol option i dont mind. im not a van of mazda bongos either they are a bit to small.

stevo2, Aug 7, 8:16pm
What size van do you actually NEED? Would something like the Nissan NV200 work for you? If you need bigger, I would be looking at the Hiace or Urvan/Caravan but safety levels on both are quite low. At only 7 or 8,000km p/a the difference in price would be very similar petrol to diesel in either the Hiace or Urvan. Petrol may even be slightly cheaper. NV 200 will be cheaper to run than the others.
Cheers Stevo

kid_dynamo, Aug 7, 8:45pm
basically it will be multipurpose. daily driver. part time sleeping. part time tradie stuff. i guess the bongo was alright size in the back just I really didnt like how it drove.

mrfxit, Aug 8, 8:07am
Well that kills the idea of an NV200 unless you can sleep curled up

blueviking, Aug 9, 7:35am
I work for a property maintenance co. Went from a Mazda bongo to the Caravan(2011) Van is probably 1/2 full all the time of all the gear needed to do multiple jobs.Bongo(1800) was gutless up hills and suicide over humps in the road.Was doing 12ltr per 100ks, a mix of urban & motorway daily.
Caravan(2ltr) is a bit better at hills, but not if you have to slow up behind someone. Very high revving and not much better over humps.So have had it a month and here's why you should only look at the diesel version. I've used 200ltrs to travel 1260k's, that's 16ltr per 100k"s. The diesel van would be running around 8-9ltr per 100k( as I have a diesel ute with a 2.8 that was doing 8.2ltr and it was loaded with tools, most times.)
I tried to talk my boss into getting a diesel, but didn't want the hassle of the RUC,s. Used vans will go up in price as all new imports must have stability control, which is 2018 and up.(according to the dealer we bought the Nissan off)

intrade, Aug 9, 8:24am
#18 another big problem is diesel can not do short trips as they have not enough time and heat to burn off the particulets in the emission catalisator-filter= a dpf . So yea if you could delete all that and reprogramm the ecu then diesel could be better . But your boss made a smart move it would have been a repair disaster with a diesel of such , in that environment.

mrfxit, Dec 10, 3:00pm
When did DPF filters start being fitted?