Trailer licensing changes?

tlng, Apr 12, 11:57am
I just got a letter from the NZTA telling me that my registration would be cancelled on my trailer as it hasn't been licensed for two years. I now either have to pay to register or exempt it for a minimum of 3 months. Have the rules changed? I thought that trailers were exempt from continuous licensing.

franc123, Apr 12, 12:26pm
They are, in the sense that if you haven't kept the license up to date you dont have to back pay, but you are still subject to cancellation after 2yrs. Just exempt it or license it, there has been no change to this since CVL began.

tlng, Apr 12, 12:37pm
Thanks franc123. Seems new to me as I've had the trailer for several years and am sure that its gone more than 2 years unlicensed before without getting cancelled. If I exempt it for 3 months, does that buy me another 2 years before they cancel?

franc123, Apr 12, 12:43pm
Yes it does,it goes from the date the last license, or exemption expires.

tlng, Apr 12, 12:58pm
Great, that's the plan then. The trailer lives at the bach so only gets used every few years anyway.

tony9, Apr 12, 9:51pm
You can thank your lucky stars that they don't mis-apply the law and require you to wof it before renewing rego, as they do for cars.

lookoutas, Apr 13, 1:02am
That's quite handy isn't it!
FFS - my trailer goes to the dump with greens on it, about 3 times a year. Not worth 2 WOF's, but feel better that it's always rego'd.

I have wondered if a new trailer gets a 12 month WOF?
Would be worth cancelling old reg and re-doing it as new.
I would make sure I had a 12 month WOF.

tweake, Apr 13, 1:14am
unfortunately the problem is they tend to rust out before they ever wear out.
every summer we get loads of trailers and caravans sitting on the side of the road minus a wheel. rusted wheel bearings due to them sitting around unused for long periods. lack of use tends to kill them faster than regular use.
i would much prefer 6 month WOF no matter what age.

franc123, Apr 13, 1:17am
When was it first registered? If its >2000 it will already be on 12mth WOF. Yes there is nothing stopping you from doing that but it is technically giving false information to a Govt dept. Make the trailer look new perhaps. ?

franc123, Apr 13, 1:24am
Makes little difference, WOF inspectors dont look inside hubs to check for water ingression, once a bearing feels rough due to corrosion its way past the point something should have been done about it. Its still the owners responsibility to maintain these things properly.

unideck, Apr 13, 2:46am
It's now three years on a fresh rego for the wof ???

skin1235, Apr 13, 9:48am
yes it does, my homebuilt trailer dropped off the system, 3 yrs no rego, when getting new plates for it was told "its a home built, its a new rego, its now 12 mth wof", they don't actually ask for age or date of the build with a homebuilt and those chinese kitset ones are built at home too

tweake, Mar 15, 5:43pm
pity. :(

i'm surprised no one has gotten a trailer wheel through the windscreen around here.