Garage Lifts

upnorth, Aug 9, 12:22am
Opinions and recommendations please on makes and models of 2 or 4 post units.

For a high stud warehouse with 3phase power available, existing concrete floor.

For heavy cars, light commercials 3.5 to 4 tonnes max

Hoist em views up, thanks.

kazbanz, Aug 9, 1:01am
I think it depends on exactly what kind of work you are going to be doing and if space is an issue.

budgel, Aug 9, 1:23am
This interests me too, I would love to get one for my home workshop.
What is the minimum height required?

kazbanz, Aug 9, 1:34am
bugel--theres some cool low lift hoists that work in a normal garage.

intrade, Aug 9, 1:48am
if you have free standing ones who bolt to the floor then you need a thick concreet floor or cut outs with big concreet footings put in the ground to bot them to.
I have a 2 poster on his own H frame with a chain drive from the 1970s
its almost to narrow for some of them new wide cars of today, but its also only a 2000kg hoist so the big 3500kg vans wont fit and i could not lift em anyhow. like i cant lift my mb140 istana van

bill-robinson, Aug 9, 2:30am
twice the height of the door opening minimum

gsimpson, Aug 9, 2:36am
A chap in the same industrial estate I worked in serviced Ferraris etc but one day got asked to do a Discovery. His hoist failed to go all the way up. The roof truss of the building and the Disco met. Oops.

muzz67, Aug 9, 3:27am
Could have fitted a cut-out switch to the beam pretty easily.
Isn't hind-sight wonderful.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 3:32am
Most of the later models do.

fordcrzy, Aug 9, 5:28am
garage journal forum.

robotnik, Aug 9, 5:39am
Aren't those called ramps in most Commonwealth countries? I am pretty sure Edd China of Wheeler Dealers refers to his lift as a ramp.

upnorth, Aug 9, 7:25am
Changing oil, wheels, transmissions and probably changing my mind.

But isn't #1 use the after hours parking of the only pair of mobile cars to be locked away?

Like the idea of a flat floor so cutting digging and inserting a flush floor unit appeals.

What's up to-day? I don't see any replies from Jack the lift salesman yet.

xs1100, Aug 9, 9:10am
clear floor defiantly,

trogedon, Aug 10, 12:49am
adjective
characterized by defiance; boldly resistant or challenging: Interesting word to use about a clear floor.

kazbanz, Aug 10, 2:19am
A good two poster I suspect is what you need.

1badbox, Aug 10, 3:34am
clear floor hoist all the way .the height you need is 3980 floor to underside of truss ask away as I fit and maintain hoists for a living cheers.

rob_man, Aug 10, 5:20am
There's no need to be defiant about it, it's a perfectly civil question

xs1100, Aug 10, 7:27am
hahaha 2 many beersies and spell check on over drive

shelby16, Aug 10, 10:19am
1badbox. do you know of any used 4 post for sale. I am in Christchurch. Thanks

shelby16, Aug 10, 10:21am
Will travel. Thanks

lookoutas, Aug 11, 7:03am
Other than the price - I like this:- 928749163

When I built my shed, it was limited in size by the sewerage line (which was expensive to build over) and a bloody old-az grape vine (which has since died)-:
So now I have a single (+ a bit) width shed, 28" long, when it could have been 35" had I been brave enough to nuke the grape vine in the first place.
Not easy to build onto the back now, but I thought for less bucks I could get a 2 poster and situate it towards the back of the shed, make up a cradle to slip over the arms in the open possition, that one set of wheels can sit in. (Hate the thought of having to manoeuvre the arms into position in limited space)
Then lift say, the back of the first car to the required height, and nose the bonnet of the other one underneath.

With a bit of thought, the posts could be situated so that a car could be lifted as per normal on the arms, with the roof fitting between the shed trusses. If I wanted to work on them.

1badbox, Oct 19, 1:37am
I have two getting traded in shortly cheers.