Holden Viva wagon. Good or bad? Any alternatives?

olgry, May 31, 11:20pm
Does anyone own / owned Holden Viva station wagon? Any known issues with this car? Is it good or not worth looking at?

Any alternatives for a family station wagon?

Also considering:
Nissan Primera or Wingroad (year 2002 and up)
Volkswagen Passat or Golf (but a bit concerned about cost of service as we've never owned a European car before)
Maybe Ford Mondeo? or even Focus might be good enough in terms of space.

extrayda, Jun 1, 12:12am
I'd avoid it. I had a Daewoo Lacetti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-
Daewoo_Lacetti#/media/File:Dae-
woo_Nubira_Sedan_front.jpg) from new as a work car once. It was acceptable if uninspiring for a while, then bits started to go wrong with it. It's best trick was to keep on accelerating for a short while when you took you foot off the gas, made for some embarrassing gearchanges (manual) with a great rev when you put the clutch in. Also best to avoid trying to accelerate into small gaps, as it would then try to hit the car in front. Holden were unhelpful with it. Eventually I got rid of it, the problem was never fixed with my car. Don't know if they sorted it after that.
I would never buy a Daewoo based Holden of any sort - admittedly off that experience only, and what I have heard others say. Maybe they are better now, but I still wouldn't be risking it. Resale was pretty appalling in the past to (haven't checked current resale but have a look on here to see),

olgry, Jun 1, 12:23am
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is helpful. :)

peja, Jun 1, 1:50am
God no! Somebody I know bought one, had troubles with overheating, electricals etc etc all in the space of 6 months, sold for half what he paid for it. Avoid, they are trouble

Wingroad would be a far better option for reliability, if a bit uninspiring, Primeras are good if you avoid the earlier CVT models. Passats and Golfs can be really good value but need servicing, if there is someone near you that can do that inexpensively or you can do it yourself may also be an option. Avoid the earlier DSG transmissions though.

Anything will be better than a Viva. Even the original 60's or 70's Viva

xs1100, Jun 1, 1:57am
Nissan wingroad/primera non cvt trans far better bet than a viva and European can be expensive if you don't have the right mechanic or tho can be expensive with the right mechanic also LOL

msigg, Aug 18, 2:24am
Yea as xs1100 said. He is correct.