1996 izuzu bighorn plasmir are they good or bad

geminidragon, Dec 22, 3:45am
its done 320000 kms and has a glovebox of reciepts for repairs done ,the vehicle drives very well but they have never touched the transmission ,its only a couple of grand and i want it only to tow the boat on the weekends ,what do you reckon good or a lemon

next-to-normal, Dec 22, 6:00am
isuzu are generally very good motors,throw some motorup in it and gunk in the fuel,and it will treat you well,i have a 4jb1 motor, and it goes all day

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 7:10am
At that mileage, it will most likely end up being a lemon, but, if you are only going to use it once in a while and NOT too far away from home, then why not.

mugenb20b, Dec 22, 7:13am
No need to use any potions in an old vehicle and definitely not 'motor up'. '96 models had two engines, a 3.2 V6 petrol and 3.1 turbo diesel (4JG2-T). Facelift models also had the notorious 3.0 DOHC turbo diesel (4JX1).

franc123, Dec 22, 7:23am
It's probably worth a punt if the price is right, I would however be quizzing them about whether they have towed with it and also going through what receipts they've got, if the trans has not been serviced you need to be checking the fluid condition right away and getting it serviced if it has deteriorated.They're not the worlds strongest box and will poop themselves if abused.The diesel engines are one of the better points but they're getting old now, regardless of whether its petrol or diesel you need to also be sure of how old the cambelt is too.

alimac1, Dec 22, 7:43am
I have a 94 UBS69 with the 4JG2. It's done 300000km and still goes well and tows a double horse float with no trouble. Mine is a manual though. I hear the autos are a bit of a crystal transmission, and would want a trans cooler if you're going to do much towing.

grangies, Dec 22, 8:13am
It's actually called a Plaisir, not a Plasmir.

And it really means nothing compared to any other Isuzu Bighorn.

Plaisir was just the name for the Bighorns with a set list of factory options.

grangies, Dec 22, 8:25am
To add, to my above post.

The Plaiser may have had a better stereo, and interior seats, and paint job etc. ( a bit more bling bling )

But the chassis and engines are the same.

geminidragon, Dec 22, 9:50pm
thanks for your help,yes its the 3.1 diesel turbo engine they have had it for about 4years and its a family member,yes they have toweda horsefloat fairly regulary as well ,just concerned that the trans has never been serviced and if it was would it develop problems if it was serviced ,i heard its best left alone when kms are high like that,i will be using it to tow my 1450kg tandem boat trailor so yeah a little concerned at what decision to make

r15, Dec 22, 9:58pm
get the trans flushed, keep an eye on the temp guage in case the cooling system isnt what it used to be at least until your confident in it

franc123, Dec 23, 7:23am
It's probably worth a punt if the price is right, I would however be quizzing them about whether they have towed with it and also going through what receipts they've got, if the trans has not been serviced you need to be checking the fluid condition right away and getting it serviced if it has deteriorated.They're not the worlds strongest box and will poop themselves if abused.The diesel engines are one of the better points but they're getting old now, regardless of whether its petrol or diesel you need to also be sure of how old the cambelt is too.Do the usual diesel engine checks, make sure you start it cold and that it starts easy and idles smooth, run it until its hot and check for any excess smoke or oil leaks, fuel leaks, leaks from the power steer box (common)and that it seems to perform OK,get an expert involved if you aren't sure what you are looking at.