GN 125 green 'on' light staying on after key

jojo76, Jul 20, 10:56am
removed and it is flattening the battery. Can anyone tell me what could possible be wrong and how to fix it? Cheers

jmma, Jul 20, 11:12am
Does it go out when you use the kill switch, has this just started happening.
Neutral light?

a.woodrow, Jul 20, 12:12pm
I had a GN250 (basically same bike) pretty sure the green light is the neutral indicator as above. It shouldn't stay on with the key off though. Maybe the ignition switch is no good?

kazbanz, Jul 20, 8:56pm
The green light is the Neutral light. so that says ignition is on.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 9:20pm
Jojo--first thing to check is if you have turned the key off.
Those lil bikes were built to a budget so the ignition might be worn out or have stuck wafers letting you remove the key whilst still turned on.
Second thing to check if you have turned the key to off is to see if the bike still starts or tries to start. if it does this points to crushed/mashed together ignition switch wiring OR the ignition switch has broken.

extrayda, Jul 20, 10:28pm
Not a motorbike expert, but once when I was working on my car (70's car) I accidentally left the ignition on for a couple of hours. Result = 1 VERY hot smelly coil, that was never the same (replaced shortly afterwards). Will this be doing the same on a bike? If so, would think that in the short term at least, disconnecting the battery when not in use might be a good idea.

kazbanz, Jul 20, 11:45pm
extrayda.--I agree that as a short term fix disconnecting the battery solves the issue. But that doesn't fix it it just stops the battery from flattening.

cammey, Jan 14, 6:34pm
Almost certainly a fault in the ignition switch, as its a moving part. The other possibility is a short between two parts of the wiring loom, a circuit which is normally live shorted to a circuit which is normally live with key on.

When we were young fellas, we used to use this principle to get a ride home.

British cars of the time generally had only two fuses, one was always live for headlights, interior lights etc. The other became live when the key was on.

One need only find an unlocked car, stick the spare fuse in the gap between the two others, and you had your ride home.