Trailer Gurus. Help please

Page 2 / 2
h.e, Aug 18, 8:27am
tack angle iron on the side and under of the outside RHS a little longer than the length of your springs rocker etc. Set up your springs on this, I would aim to have the center of the rocker in the center of the deck. Once the trailer is at a stage that the car can go on it chuck it on and check the weight at the hitch. Easy to break the tacks and move the axles to where ever it weighs up right.

matarautrader, Aug 18, 7:11pm
I have a Mitsi Challenger and the tow ball weight is marked on the tow bar as 60kg. When I tow trailers I move the load backwards and forwards to get close to that. Something like this would sort out the old wives tales and urban myths about towing
http://shop.coastalmotorhomes.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=424

paul861, Aug 18, 9:44pm
the formula we used was half an inch back from cenre for every foot of deck length i.e 8 foot deck would be 4 inches back from centre. in your case 4000= 13 ish feet therefore 6 1/2 inches(170mm) back from centre. personaly I would tempory set up then apply your load and see what its like

jmma, Aug 19, 12:49am
I can see unideck smiling (o:

stevo2, Aug 19, 5:51am
Yes, where is Unideck when you need him?

red97, Aug 19, 6:08am
yeah I hear ya
I would cnc my next trailer out of billet alloy if the price was right

pierced1, Aug 19, 8:51am
Thanks all for your input.

Obviously from all the differing replies - this is why i am confused as all hell.

Haha

gtrb26, Aug 19, 10:34am
I'd tack everything at 50/50 then load the car on and see how the weight balance is, no one is going to be able to tell you the answer it is going to come down to the weight balance of the load, our excavator trailers are front heavy with nothing on, but with the excavator they balance out well.

mrfxit, Aug 19, 6:48pm
Yep thats great for a custom job like your diggers.
Same with the trailer I mentioned above.
It apparently belonged to an engineer with a big welder bolted to the back of the deck, (hence the 6" off set axle), but being used as a std trailer, it was a flippin nightmare

mongolia1, Aug 22, 8:26pm
Set up both sets of spring hangers on one length of 50X50 angle each side which you then put under and through bolt to the frame. That way you can reposition the 50x50 angle and attached springs relative to the frame to get the fore/aft weight distribution right for your V8.

tweake, Aug 23, 12:29am
i'm not a fan of putting suspension on a bit of angle iron and bolting it on. welding a bit better but not that great.
trouble is you end up with a main load location where water sits in between the angle iron and the chassis and rust out.

don't get to carried away with positioning. the load (the v8) will no doubt change. also throw some extra fuel on, tires, toolbox and your carefully planned weight distribution is completely gone.

how you load the trailer is what matters most. the trailer just has to allow you to do that.

serf407, Sep 11, 5:39pm
Look though the trailer designs sometime and see where each is heavier or lighter depending on the task requirements.
http://www.trailersauce.co.nz/