Car on trailer Dn-Dn Timaru how to avoid Kilmog?

kevlight, Apr 16, 9:38am
is there an inland route easier for a car transporter trailer, behind my 2 wheel drive Ford courier ute (o4 XTL king cab petrol manual) ,'hire pool car transporter trailer'.
. I have towed the BX home from Chch okay (with one road rage incident) but that is on the flat in good weather.
. the Maxi is a heaver car (1970 1500 Uk import) and i am a bit concerned now the winter has set in ,with the KIlmog Hill,
. Is there a way to avoid the hill climb and decent by going inland?. and if so ,how do i go about getting on the correct Road out of Dunedin, Do i have to go south a few Klms ? or is there another way ?
. thanks regards Kev

robotnik, Apr 16, 9:58am
Just turn off SH1 onto Coast Road at Evansdale. Follow Coast Road until you rejoin SH1.

monsieurl, Apr 16, 10:02am
The only way's i can think of is either going via Middlemarch to Palmerston which will add considerable time to your trip or via Warrington to Karitane but the slow steep winding road would probably be worse than the Kilmog.

gsimpson, Apr 16, 11:17am
Any of the aternatives are worse. The coast road might not have the altitude but it twists and winds, up and down. I wouldn't tow that way. Use the Kilmog but take it slow and steady.

lusty9, Apr 16, 11:23am
be a dare-devil do kirimoko hill 'killmog' sheesh. See if the XLT can do it or if it will Kill-yor-mog.

lusty9, Apr 16, 11:44am
can envision it now in 2nd gear, revving uplarge or like I say 'go ring the guts out of it'. hahaha

morrisman1, Apr 16, 11:47am
its passing lanes for most of it anyway, Cant see what people would get angry about.

kevlight, Apr 16, 12:05pm
i still think there is an inland route that avoids the Kilmog ,i just do not remember how to get on to it ,last time i towed a car trailer it was a small jeep behind my truck,from invercargill , and i remember driving through Alex ,the way was longer but not a hill climb /decent ,

kevlight, Apr 16, 12:14pm
trailer im using again, this time with a maxi on it from DnDn

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/373528326.jpg Jeep in Alexandra years ago https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/376622680.jpg

gsimpson, Apr 16, 1:22pm
Through Alex you would have to go via Pig root (Ranfurly/Palmerston) which still has some demanding hills on it or Lindus pass but even that gets steep towards the summit. Also those 2 routes will be more risky in cold conditions.

biddy6, Apr 16, 8:16pm
There's no snow now ,lovely day. You wont find an easier way north, and at least its a well used bit of state highway 1, not isolated (in case of a breakdown) like the alternatives.

pico42, Apr 16, 8:57pm
Kilmog Hill is a sealed highway with plenty of passing lanes. It gets cleared the quickest in the event of ice and snow. It remains your best option.

poppajn, Apr 16, 9:43pm
Kilmog definitltly the best way, as gsimpson said the coast road is not a good option. As for the other alternitives posters are giving, you might as well go over the Haast and up the West Coast.

upnorth, Apr 17, 12:42am
If you cook the tow vehicle can you continue with the towed car?

kevlight, Apr 23, 7:00pm
thanks for all suggestions especially the helpful ones !
we talked to a couple of knowledgeable locals ,they told us the Pug route,from Mosgiel / ranfurly/Palmerston, was worse than the Kilmog and tat the least resistance to hills was the inland coastal road via Sea Cliff ,seanic route to Karataine; so we went that way ;;;;;
. its a very windy up and down twisty ,poorly maintained road ,diabolical for the twists and turns , BUT it served its function of not rooting the clutch and gearbox on my petrol 2.3 Courier 2 wheel drive.
. thanks for all your input,i never realized that since i sold the Diesel turbo ute how torquey it was,and how easy compared to the petrol it towed ; i only sold it as i was doing lots of short trips in town and the Road users/and rego etc;; time to revist that scenario i think ?

biddy6, Feb 27, 6:54pm
Nice one, did you take any pix's on the route.