1996 Ford Laser 1.6 GLXi Miss fire

exwesty, Feb 21, 2:43am
Hi Guys

The run around car has a misfire, which i think is coming from the points and distributor as I can hear a tick or jumped spark in there when misfires.
There was a little oil inside the cap which I have cleaned and removed and also cleaned the corroded contacts etc with a wire brush but although it's a little better the problem still remains.

What's the best, cheapest and easiest way to fix it?

mechnificent, Feb 21, 3:06am
If the spark is jumping in there you will probably be able to see a "track", often looking like a crack or pencil mark on the distributor cap, or the rotor. If it's on the rotor it could be on the outside or under neath where it fits on the shaft. If you can see the track then replace that part, either cap or rotor.
The spark jumping may be due to old age or because the leads or plugs have a fault. You should test the leads for continuity with an ohm meter. You should also check the plug gaps.

mechnificent, Feb 21, 3:09am
You can also test the rotor by holding the center lead from the cap near it, about six mills away, while causing a spark by turning the engine with a spanner. If the rotor is good there should be no spark or at most a very fine thin spark. preferably no spark though.
The rotor is on the shaft while doing that.

Likewise you can test the cap by putting the centre lead back in the cap and watching inside and outside the cap while it's off to see if a spark jumps anywhere. It may be seen jumping from the center contact to one of the outer contacts.

clark20, Feb 21, 3:40am
Make sure all the leads are dry in the head, they were not that good even when new. Use the car and then unplug the leads and let the heat evaporate the water if any.

franc123, Feb 21, 3:46am
They were also shockers for blowing holes in the side of the HT lead tubes and shorting across to the head. If that's happened then it can be taped up until new leads can be obtained. Oh and look at how stuffed the spark plugs are too while in there, tracking down the sides of the insulators could also do the same thing.

exwesty, Jun 4, 4:17pm
Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look again and see what I find.