Towing over the 309 Road, Coromandel.

mokaubach, Jan 19, 12:28am
Hi All, can anyone advise whether it's OK to tow a 2.4m wide trailer through the 309 Road please?. I know its not advised on the Coroglen to Tapu Rd but can't recall what the 309 is like, thanks.

lissa25, Jan 19, 2:40am
At the moment it is heavily corrugated after the influx of holiday traffic, the road is wide enough if you take it easy and keep left around the blind corners, but your load will bounce around at the moment until it gets graded again. Coming through Tairua is the widest road but also the busiest, (although the busiest times seem to be over and the queues are behind us), through Coromandel and Kuaotunu has the big hill that can eat brakes on heavy loads if you aren't careful. I'm pretty sure the narrowest bits are signposted on the Thames coast rd before you even get to the 309. When I tow wide loads, I come through Tairua it is the widest route by far.

mokaubach, Jan 19, 6:13am
Brilliant response, thanks lissa25, we will be in Hahei and heading over to Coromandel hence looking at using the 309

illusion_, Jan 19, 7:34am
x1
quicker and a lot easier taking the seal all the way on sh25

mokaubach, Jan 19, 5:54pm
Assume you mean up over the top?

lissa25, Jan 19, 8:35pm
What day are you looking at going over? I can find out when the road is graded next, as the 309 has the easier hills to climb/descend, they have started doing a few around my way to repair the holiday damage. If it is still corrugated, I would head north through Whitianga and Kuaotunu it is much wider than the 309 and sealed the whole way, but a few more hills. Just keep it in a low gear on the way down the last hill, and make sure you keep left, I have had a couple of frights this season from finding (mostly) rentals over the centre line and your trailer probably needs a bit more room than my mini.

mopsy3, Jan 19, 9:00pm
What are you towing with and what is your load? When you look at the number of boats, caravans, motorhomes etc that travel the Coast Road and over the Whangapoua Hill there is no reason why you would take the 309 unless you were overloaded and/or underpowered. Have towed a covered trailer as wide as a double horse float behind a Falcon many times and never had any issues.

mokaubach, Jul 31, 6:58pm
Plenty of power and brakes.