Beaten up road signs how the hell does this happen

gunhand, Jan 19, 8:35am
Ive noticed that all the largish road signs from here (gore) to at least Timaru (state highway 1) all seem to be beaten to bits. Its like someones wacked 500 golf balls at them.
It cant be rocks as these signs are high off the road and what rocks are about to hit them.
Have a look next time your driving about. I really cant think of a logical explanation for this. Even newer ones are the same.

bigjerry, Jan 19, 8:42am
Guns and booze! Yokel friday night kicks!

jjc09, Jan 19, 8:42am
High power paint ball gun on a rainy day maybe !
or night

jmma, Jan 19, 8:43am
Shotgun!

gunhand, Jan 19, 8:44am
No its just golf ball size dents, and there are shit loads of these signs and on both sides of the road.

bigjerry, Jan 19, 8:45am
golf balls! Too obvious!

lordv81, Jan 19, 8:48am
Shot guns are the cause,have a look around the roadside and you will more than likely find the cartridges.Sign damage gets worse useually at the start and end of duck shooting season.Different loads will make different spread patterns as will the different sign size and thickness.

gunhand, Jan 19, 8:53am
http://www.new-zealand-pictures.co.nz/photo/kiwi-bird-road-sign-westland-new-zealand-2025.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NZ-highway-junction.jpg

The first one is the kind of dents but thats minor and the 2nd is the size of sign im talking about. I see that one is undamaged buts its not one the state highway one.

gunhand, Jan 19, 8:55am
Yea but im talking every god dam one on both sides of the road over a 400km distance. I know i drove it most days for six months LOL and you notice odd things. still look now and still the same.

1ollie, Jan 19, 8:55am
Its mainly just bottles doing it, its some sort of newish trend I think with some of the younger guys out there

lordv81, Jan 19, 9:07am
If you ever get to stop and have a close look at bottle vs sign damage,its quit hard case that a bottle will leave the imprint of the bottom of the bottle where the little grippy things are.Sometimes the impact marks are perfectGenrally bottles wont leave much of a dent thats symetrical like a gun will.A .22 calibre will leave big dents for the size of the bullet.

peasgood, Jan 19, 8:27pm
Its just some good ole boys ,coming back from a klan meeting!

jokerboss, Jan 19, 8:54pm
buck-shot loaded shot-guns. 6-10mm! (eye-crometer last time I seen the rounds) loaded ball bearing will leave a heck of a mark