Honda Crossroad

ambo11, Jul 22, 1:00pm
Anyone have one, or driven one? I personally like the look, and I reckon they would be easy access and comfy to drive. Prefer them over the CRV.
None down our way though as yet for sale.
Not interested in Outlanders etc etc instead, as will avoid CVT if I can, so I can use it to tow the house trailer.
Seems to be a large price difference for basically the same car on TM.
Anyone know anything about them apart from they are on the Stream platform?

thejazzpianoma, Jul 22, 1:34pm
If towing I would suggest you check whether it uses the H5 transmission which it quite likely does. This is the problematic one from the Odessy, I wouldn't recommend it for towing.

Also the Crossroad was only made for a couple of years so you might find some parts tricky. Might be better to stick with the CRV which is a pretty good machine.

kazbanz, Jul 22, 3:40pm
Good solid reliable vehicle -not much chop as a 7 seater but as a 5 seater its great. used on the beach or as a softroader IMO its fine-so snow yes offroad yes but very much like the RAV or CRV despite its looks so nothing serious offroad. --Comment based on personal experience ONLY with the 1800cc examples.

tamarillo, Jul 22, 6:00pm
Nice looking version of a CRV ? Looks good. But do you mean horse trailer, cause it's only a 2 litre, at least NZ CRV got 2.4 and still used the 5 speed auto.
Looks different in good way IMO

thejazzpianoma, Jul 22, 6:06pm
I figured it was the later don't worry, but I am still concerned it may run the H5 even at that stage. That and the very limited run of them worries me somewhat. If you are talking about a horse trailer as suggested above there is no way at all I would tow one with anything running that transmission.

There is another 5 speed Honda trans that it could be (Has a three letter code something like MWZ or some such but I think it may be the H5).

thejazzpianoma, Jul 22, 6:16pm
Also. I would check where they were actually exported too. They may have never been intended to tow anything at all. So you may have other unforeseen issues like lack of solid mounting options for the towbar, small oil cooler etc.

Towing a horse trailer is very hard work, even a single float. I would be erring to something internationally popular with a strong drivetrain and if towing regularly probably go diesel. If you like the Outlander but don't like the CVT (which I would probably avoid too but trust more than the H5). How about a 4007 with Manual transmission? (The Peugeot being a rebadged Outlander but available in Manual and with a brilliant Diesel). Don't buy the auto Peugeot either though as it runs Fords lemon version of the DSG.

jmma, Jul 22, 6:29pm
HOUSE Trailer :oP

ambo11, Jul 22, 9:18pm
Yep, a 250kg house trailer with lawn clippings etc only. lol have a decent proper 4WD for the heavy stuff. cheers

jmma, Jul 22, 9:42pm
The H5 is a five-speed automatic transmission made by the Honda Corporation. It was designed exclusively for use in front-wheel drive vehicles and was Honda’s very first five-speed transmission. It was first used in a production vehicle back in 2000 and remained in the Honda lineup for just six years before being replaced by the more modern B7XA and MPYA transmissions.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 22, 10:51pm
You could tow that quite happily with an outlander. It's CVT is quite well built unlike the Nissan thing you had.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 22, 10:58pm
You complete plonker, you have quoted another idiot without a clue. The B7XA and MPYA are old 4 speed transmissions that came before the H5.

The H5 hung around for a long time, well over 10 years in some applications.

That's what happens when you try and troll people while knowing nothing about the subject.

kazbanz, Jul 23, 10:24am
The crossroad will do you just fine.-and its 4wd enough to get you out of a boggy situation

ambo11, Jul 23, 3:47pm
Cheers Kaz, will try and fine one to try out. I think most are 2wd with some 4wd, note sure what the code is for the 4wd model though. Its mainly for cruising to work open road, but like the styling and being a 1.8 or 2.0 will cost peanuts to run. cheers

jmma, Jul 23, 4:04pm
Wasn't trolling, just offering something that may of been of help.
But I will bow to your superior knowledge of everything and accept that it may be wrong.

kazbanz, Jul 23, 5:32pm
I wonder how many crossroads he has sat in-let alone actually driven.

flack88, Jul 23, 7:01pm
Have seen a lot of Hondas lunch there trans towing,CRVS Accord just saying.

mack77, Jul 23, 9:56pm
I am fairly sure that the codes for the 4wd models are: RT2 (1.8L) and RT4 (2.0L).
Unfortunately you cannot use peanuts to pay for petrol.

ambo11, Nov 15, 12:52am
Thanks, I'll note that down to use in my search, cheers