What car to get?

Page 1 / 2
pico42, Sep 9, 11:54am
In-laws are looking for a replacement car. They are considering the following
Nissan Qashqai, Suzuki S Cross, Mazda CX3, Mitsi ASX. Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? I'm finding I know nothing about current cars, we just chase impractical 4WDs.

Mixture of around town and open road driving, especially to Central Otago. With tow bar, but for bike racks and rubbish to the tip sort of thing, not caravans/boats/horse floats. Budget up to $30K. Ideally 2015 or younger.

Also looked at a Captiva a while back.

Currently have a 2000 Holden Vectra, suited them well, but costly to run with repairs.

Appreciate any comments.

clark20, Sep 9, 12:03pm
My pick, from auto magazines would be the CX3 (not having driven them all) , and also look at the Kia Sportage, they were selling for $30K

slarty45, Sep 9, 12:12pm
$29990 + ORC $700 + $795 towbar will get a new S Cross 2 wheel drive from Queenstown Gorge Rd dealer
I have $4K more Allgrip 4WD version
Comfortable, economical & a real 6 stage automatic.

pico42, Sep 9, 3:27pm
Those citroens don't look bad do they.

poppy62, Sep 9, 3:32pm
They're an excellent vehicle despite what some of the anti Euro brigade on here say. I'm sure a test drive and actually viewing them may surprise you. They're a lot of car for the $$$$ The Diesel is a real good unit and at 3 .5 L per100kms the economy, ride, handling and comfort is hard to beat and thy do have a galvanized body No harm in trying one.

budgel, Sep 9, 3:43pm
That's outstanding fuel economy, even with RUC's added.

gammelvind, Sep 9, 4:12pm
They certainly look great value and even with the unfortunately higher Euro car depreciation they would still be worth it. Great to see NZ getting some good pricing for these quirky vehicles.

barrie2, Sep 9, 4:28pm
Mitsi ASX 2wd $29990 brand new plus ORC (which you haggle about).
New, reliable, long warranty, road noise a bit intrusive but for the money great value. Had mine 2 years.
My other car, Mitsi L200, had that 27 years!

gunhand, Sep 9, 4:44pm
How do you know it is an excellent vehicle? Its brand new. Apart from its R&D and manufactures hype how do we know how good it will be. Has anyone had one for 5 years to say how good they are long term? Hmmmm, no.
This applies to all NEW vehicles people say are great cars. How do we know?
A test drive by a magazine or whatever is no great judge on anything. If they criticized they would be all out of a job lol. Mind you things have been known to fail on new cars during tests.
Now if it was around for more than 5 years with well proven track record, sure, then we could say it is excellent.
Its not a critic of the marque or anything, just a thought.

poppy62, Sep 9, 4:55pm
Mate! These have been out for a few years now (2014) and are a derivative of the C4 and ASX/3008.

gunhand, Sep 9, 4:58pm
Have they? well I could only find a 2016 and 2017s, Well in that case I take most what I said back, but still applies to NEW NEW cars then.
Good job it wasn't an abusive rant then lol.

bwg11, Sep 9, 8:58pm
Anything will a great upgrade from the Vectra. Obviously not "car people" who would be well served by a Lancer. OK, a dated design, but proven reliability with a 10 year powertrain warranty. Only $24k, put the balance in the bank.

http://www.baycitymitsubishi.co.nz/NEW+VEHICLES/Lancer/Mitsubishi+Lancer+LS.html

slarty45, Sep 9, 9:06pm
interesting

$23,990 +NVC + ORC
*NVC is New Vehicle Costs. ORC is On Road Costs

ORC is obvious REG & WOF + 4 number plate screws
NVC must be valet etc

bit like buying a new suit that is sent to dry cleaner and buyer pays dry cleaning bill (that is probably doubled tripled for a bit extra profit)

pico42, Sep 9, 10:08pm
Thing is this will be the first car since all their kids left home, which might mean a change in flavour. I do need to chat with them a bit more on what they are looking for.

db.price, Sep 10, 7:56am
I am not anti euro but come on - a Citroen? And even worse a Cactus? 😅😅😅😅

db.price, Sep 10, 7:59am
Trouble with the ASX is you buy a "brand new" car that in reality is 10 years old.

If it was me I would consider the CX3 though it is quite small in the boot, or a brand new Kia Sortage which you can get for $29990 plus ORCs.

Add in a Subaru Impreza for under $30k too. Now that is good value in a AWD car.

craig04, Sep 10, 10:31am
Lol. From the man that owns a Kia Picanto.

poppy62, Sep 10, 1:08pm
And soon to be (maybe) a Mazda owner to boot.

poppy62, Sep 10, 1:12pm
Pushing the Mazda barrow hard. Appears to me that you're trying garner support for your own Mazda choice, because you're not 100% sure you've made the right (possible) decision. May I also say your next drive in a Citroen will probably be your first so, who are you to judge.

poppy62, Sep 10, 1:14pm
Are you replacing your Cactus with the (bogus) Mazda CX5? If you are. please share your experiences with the OP and me. thanks.

craig04, Sep 10, 1:21pm
He'll be jizzing on about the CX5 for about the first month of ownership and then realise how mediocre they actually are. An acceptable appliance. Nothing more, nothing less.

intrade, Sep 10, 1:54pm
if you think a 2000 vectar is costly to repair then you dont know whats comming with any newer model car. the costs of the repairs on the vectra will be peanusts in therms of cost what you will pay on a newer car if it fails. Not to mention that there is 90% clueless morons who wont fix a new car just replace parts that are not broken.
The problem is ! A simple problem on a old car , this same problem on a new car will be masked by the multitude of computer modules who all show codes and then it takes houres to figrue out why they set the code as one computer sets a code because 2 other modules told it to and the 3 more set the code because A another one told it to and on and on it goes and in the end its a wire somwhere hidden that cause all the computers to malfunction.
The problem is it takes 20h to find that wire . Somone who has had expensive training and has 50 grand worth of equipment might find the problem in 2 to 6h . then they say its a proken wire .
People think a Broken wire should only cost 20 bux to fix.
Never mind that NO ONE! else found it and that everyone else replaced 10 tousend $ worth of computers that where not faulty.
So its ok when you pay 10 tousend bux for stuff you did not need but you only want to pay 20 bux to the guy who found the problem because .
That is the real problem and thats the problem people who own cars must know and realise.
If you pay 6h at 180$ to fix a simple wire is still cheaper as paing 10 grand and 100h to somone and the car is still as broken as it was at the beginning.
Aecs talks about this problem in training its difficult to bring across to a customer that you need to get paid this much for a simple wire to be repaired.
Because its simple to repair but extreem difficult to find in the maze of crap . this simple thing.

tamarillo, Sep 10, 2:50pm
The Mazda.
It's the best of the bunch.

alfa13, Sep 10, 3:52pm
Mazda best of that lot or a Kia Sportage - amazing value for money

db.price, Sep 10, 3:58pm
Our Picanto looks a hell of a lot nicer than a Cactus!