The motoring messageboard and psychology.

Page 2 / 3
slarty45, Sep 16, 4:29pm
It starts in the assembly line = Quality Control
recalls = poor quality control (just bung them through)

mrfxit, Sep 16, 4:37pm
Better .

Metals
Finer tolerances
Better engine control
Better fuels
Higher quality filters
Better design.
Computer control

If you look through each 10 year age periods of vehicle manufacturing, you will find theres a leap in performance/ economy/ reliability etc as each (working) radical design change comes on to the market.
Often the 1st models released have a few issues but mostly gets sorted next time round.
Of course there are always some exceptions, but not many compared to the vast amounts produced

socram, Sep 16, 4:50pm
Going back to the Mini visit, less than 1% of all cars passing through fail the end of line inspection. When asked what the failures were, 90% plus were computers or electronics. There was only 1 car in the rework area when we went through.

trogedon, Sep 16, 4:56pm
gunhand wrote:
I heard of this guy who owned a euro, cost him a bloody fortune in breakages and he sold it for 1/4 the price he paid for it, replaced it with a Toyota, he is now happy as a pig in shit.
I heard of a guy who owned a Toyota, cost him a bloody fortune in breakages, he sold it for for 1/4 the price he paid for it. Replaced it with a euro,he is now happy as a pig in shit.
In Europe they drive mostly euro cars, funny that.
In NZ they drive mostly Jap cars, due to what was built here and imported, funny that.
If here in NZ we had mostly euros available we would drive mostly euros, funny that.
If in Europe they had mostly Jap cars available they would drive mostly jap cars, funny that.
Any one who buys a car on MSGB say so needs their head read, same as buying via what some magazine says also need help.

I bought the best motorbike I've ever owned (6 1/2 years, sold it, bought it back for another 3 years) on the say so (rode it first, it was secondhand) of Spannerman in Kiwi Rider "magazine". Magazine testers and Message Board people aren't as uniformed as possibly you like to think we are.

snoopy221, Sep 16, 5:04pm
psychology. reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/70enf7/why_do_some_farts_feel_hot_coming_out_are_they/

lol

Why do some farts feel hot coming out? Are they actually a different temperature than normal farts?

gunhand, Sep 16, 5:17pm
Troggy, I never said any one was uniformed did I? Plenty of very clever people on here. So what you are saying is, on the basis of what a magazine tester or MSGBer said you would rush out and buy on that advise alone. No test drive to see if it actually suited you and your needs? (and you didn't) And I stand by what I said, you are mad not to test drive or to think one persons opinion will be the same as yours when haven't done your due diligence.
Example, much rantings and ravings over the Yamaha tenere 1200 thingy a few years back and how fantastic it was. I went and test rode and couldn't wait to get off. It didn't suit me in anyway at all, yet a mate on the same day reckoned it was pretty good. Dam good job I didn't just buy on say so with out test ride.
And on another side note but similar thing. I owned a Hayabusa and a ZX14 a few years back. Loved them both. Been away from bikes for a few years till couple months back. Got on my sisters ZX14 (dont ask) and thought before I did, I may buy this off her. Again, it no longer suited me, in fact it was hard on my body straight away. WE change. So thank God I didn't just agree to buy it off her over the phone, because I had already owned one. Same with Busa, sat on one last week and thought " geez did I own one of these" LOL.

elect70, Sep 16, 5:17pm
Ive had 4 BMWs & every single one has suffered overheating /head / gasket failure & needed towing home & extensive & expensive repairs . Yee the 6 english & 3 of the 4 aussie cars ( VLcommie was a PO unreliable S ) had minor problems, none left me stranded , they were all pre 1988

tgray, Sep 16, 5:30pm
Maybe you are indeed one of those people who find it hard to change your ways.

saxman99, Sep 16, 6:35pm
I've had 6 BMWs and all have been utterly brilliant.

woody1946, Sep 16, 7:39pm
Just bought my second new Suzuki from Eurocars Suzuki , who used to be agents for Citroen, Volvo, Fiat (hence the name Eurocars)
They still service Peugeot and Citroen and other euros, but don't sell them anymore
While waiting for my new Suzuki to have its number plates fitted, I was chatting to the manager who said they have never had so few vehicles come back with issues under warranty, since dropping the European cars agency, and switching to Suzuki
So many dealers in Palmy have tried to be agents for various Euro brands and have failed,
The only European agencies in Palmy now are BMW, VW and Audi Three dealers have tried Peugeot/ Citroen and all have failed,so all this tells me that the Asian brands are more popular

gunhand, Sep 16, 7:51pm
There are no rights and wrongs in some situations, just opinions. And as we know opinions are like arseholes, we all have one. It just when the size of the arsehole gets so big things just spew out uncontrollably we have to worry. Almost like what happens in an election year.

ema1, Sep 16, 9:49pm
Ha ha ha gun. one in particular on here I just wouldn't worry about and yea big things do spew out uncontrollably from said one for sure. and very much predictable into the bargain mate.
Hey how's things these days matey, whatcha up to these days?

gunhand, Sep 16, 9:56pm
Me, well to quote a song by the Boss. Im "workin on the highway" Its all pretty good, found a few lost muscles, getting some fresh air in between the diesel fumes lol. Waiting on summer to do some "housework", no, manly stuff. Apart from that, i wake up go to work come home do home shit go to bed and repeat. Oh, and waiting on some fine weather to go riding.
And my post wasn't directed any one way or the other.

ema1, Sep 16, 10:13pm
Good one mate, breathing in da cleaner air is good eh.
No worries, Centrals weather hasn't been bad in a while unlike the South and East Coast has had matey.
Interesting thing a lot of the old identities around these parts say,"If we are getting bad weather lots elsewhere are getting it worse." very true much of the time I find. been a comparatively mild winter inland this year, just as well my bones/joints aren't to partial to being cold nowadays.

gunhand, Sep 16, 10:19pm
Yea its all good, getting up close and personal with traffic is very educational as well. Bring on a hot summer.

snoopy221, Sep 16, 10:40pm
Very deep and meaningfull
Tell me did ya watch westside and see ole phineas. **grasshopper and pebble**-lol

BUT- lol

psychology. reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/70enf7/w
hy_do_some_farts_feel_hot_comi-
ng_out_are_they/

lol

Why do some farts feel hot coming out? Are they actually a different temperature than normal farts?

Which could be termed as alluding to the sniff test of a fart-being all euro **Hot Air**- LOL

ema1, Sep 16, 10:47pm
Light a match snoops. BOOM ! ha ha . very true in more ways than one.

snoopy221, Sep 16, 10:54pm
lol dayzzz of zee ole acetylene bombs ema

ema1, Sep 16, 11:04pm
Yep remember them well snoops.

mm12345, Sep 17, 6:58pm
That's hilarious given the thread title and your original post.
A few posts in, and your confirmation bias is confirmed.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 18, 12:04am
Crikey. took you lot long enough!

trogedon, Sep 18, 8:23pm
gunhand wrote:
There are no rights and wrongs in some situations, just opinions.

Very few "situations", i.e. some forms of art where complete subjectivity is a worthy mindset.

sr2, Sep 18, 10:25pm
Rubbish, if there are no rights and wrongs you could argue the Holocaust was nothing more than an opinion?

trogedon, Sep 19, 7:26am
He did put in "some situations" and you don't need the question mark for a statement.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 19, 4:38pm
True, but there are those on here who like to argue that 2 + 2 = 5. It does get frustrating, especially when very quantifiable scenarios have to be explained over and over again.

Classic example. "those have terrible depreciation". Which is a complete nonsense statement without knowing at what point in the depreciation cycle they are "terrible". Terrible initial or late depreciation can be a wonderful thing if you are buying at the right part of the cycle.