Fuel economy stars not reliable

tgray, Oct 6, 10:15am
Gives my 2009 Suzuki Swift 1300cc 2 stars out of 6
and my 2017 Corvette 6200cc 4 stars out of 6. Yeah right.

lookoutas, Oct 6, 10:25am
That's a different angle.

intrade, Oct 6, 10:25am
you got to read the smallprint to what standard where the stars awarded. compared to a f16 fighter jet it shure would get 4 stars when the jet gets 1.
it be in the small print that they award the stars them selfs.

peanuts37, Oct 6, 10:57am
Ive got a Honda Jazz rated at 5.4L/100kms, get that on a run but around town about 7L/100kms. Still very economical from what I replaced it with.

allan_mac, Oct 6, 10:57am
Rightcar.govt.nz gives your Suzuki 4.5 stars, but no result for your Corvette. Where are you getting your results from?

allan_mac, Oct 6, 1:17pm
Seems the problem is with TradeMe's lookup.

Lots of drooling over your Corvette

toenail, Oct 6, 2:23pm
i doubt anyone buying your corvette cares about some arbitrary rating.

bumfacingdown, Oct 6, 6:43pm
Going by the annual running costs they obviously allow for you Vette owners to be sunshine kids

thejazzpianoma, Oct 6, 8:03pm
There are some absurd mistakes in that system. When it first came out they had an old Prius as the most economical car on their list, it was on the front page and everything. When you worked it out they reckoned it was doing about 1.5l/100km.

I flicked through a few more and found a bunch of equally absurd figures in a few minutes.

So I tooks screen shots, emailed them to my MP and they actually amended them. Then went back to check them again a few months later and all the mistakes were back.

Whoever the team was that were entering the data clearly knew nothing about cars and had very little common sense. Otherwise they would have been picking up the mistakes themselves.

I just hate to think how many people bought stupid old prius's thinking they were going to achieve that economy.

nz_stacie, Oct 6, 11:07pm
not very good photos

tgray, Oct 6, 11:32pm
They have worked for thousands of sales so far. Good enough it seems.
Remember, they are classified ads, so people need to come and see them anyway before deciding.

survivalkiwi, Oct 7, 7:53am
Do people really give a shit?
I bought a $65000 ute. I do about 18k per year.
I fill it up when it's below quater. I am sure even an extra 10% in fuel would only add a couple of hundred dollars a year to my expenses.
By the time one takes all the other cost relating to running a car the fuel cost is minimal.
Some people must be real tight asses.
I was talking to a guy a while ago who traded a v8 ss ute on a 6 cylinder one because because he claimed the 8 was to thirsty. He only did about 10k per anum. The hit he took on the ss would have bought a lot of extra fuel.

bigfatmat1, Oct 7, 7:55am
My car is 4 stars and I am mow averaging 13.8L/100km average over 26000km

saxman99, Oct 7, 9:02am
Do they factor in efficiency when coming up with the rating? Or is it just straight out consumption?

curlcrown, Oct 7, 2:34pm
Not surprising.

msigg, Dec 31, 1:18pm
Yes survivalkiwi, some are very short sighted, more to running costs than just fuel, depreciation, maintenance , cost to change over vehicle, insurance etc, If you are worried better get a Nissan Leaf, for me like you I don't worry about the swings and roundabouts. Electric in 20years bring it on. All good stuff.Life is great.