Car transporter CHCH - TGA recommendations

pmessage, Sep 21, 9:31am
Hi I am looking at buying a car in Christchurch, and getting it delivered to Tauranga, who would be the cheapest transport company?

sw20, Sep 21, 11:42am
Do your self a favour and fly down and drive it back.

It will be cheaper, faster and you will actually care about your car.

oldboyjohn, Sep 21, 12:20pm
I have used these guys, you can go on their website and get a price.

http://www.thecdg.co.nz/

supernova2, Sep 21, 12:21pm
Cheap is not always best.
Apart from the road problems you also have to pay for crossing a big ditch.
Between island is not a cheap exercise.
Unless it's something special why not just buy a car in the north island?

lookoutas, Sep 22, 9:38am
I know a guy who often sends Tauranga to Ch Ch by sea.

carstauranga001, Sep 22, 10:47am
It works in that direction as the ships do the ports in that order, but not the other way around. Interested to know what you're buying OP? Must be good to buy that far from home. Interesting how people buy these days, I've sold half a dozen to South Island clients.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 22, 12:24pm
CaptainTransporter.co.nz

Christchurch to Tauranga, $921+GST

I have used them before from Wgtn to Chch, no complaints, would use again. They were the cheapest and easiest to deal with at the time

ryanm2, Sep 22, 9:29pm
Ferry crossing with car $177
Fuel - $120
Food - $30
Flight - $100

because the ferry crossing is at 2pm (otherwise 10.30pm) you may have to stay a night in chch and leave first thing - allow another $50 for that. Or pay someone like me to drive it up for you.

ryanm2, Sep 22, 9:31pm
Ive bought 3 cars in the NI - 2 in Auckland, 1 in Tuaranga and driven them back to chch. You can do it in a big day - main thing was to get back to Wellington for the 6pm crossing.

mrcat1, Sep 23, 7:01am
They don't use the RORO facility at the Mount any more, haven't done for some years.
Only way they would do it now is in a box or lifted onto the ship.

mrcat1, Sep 23, 7:05am
A uncle came to Auckland years ago and bought about a 6m boat, and he took it thru to Nelson from Auckland in one day, left early and caught the 6pm sailing and got into Nelson about 11.30pm.

sw20, Sep 23, 7:33am
Depends on the day. Interislander has travel at 2:45pm, 5:00pm and 8pm on Saturday and 3:30pm and 8:30pm on Sunday. Bluebridge has 8:45pm on a Saturday and 1:30pm and 8:45pm on Sundays. Bluebridge does have the sleeper service though, which allows you onboard before midnight to go to sleep in your cabin then leaves at 2:00am arriving in Picton at 6:00am.

xs1100, Sep 23, 7:42am
shades towing got a car christchurch to taupo (picked up from their yard) no problem at all

casper35, Sep 23, 8:09am
I used auto despatch from Auckland to Ashburton a couple of months ago and they were really good. It left ak on the thursday and was at my door 7am on the Wednesday. $850.00.

lookoutas, Sep 23, 8:26am
So if ya take those costs posted above (can't be a V8, and you'd be half starved at $30) plus the loss of 2 days at a reasonable charge-out rate. There's a value of about $1500 to go get it.

$500(+) if you don't count the time.

ryanm2, Sep 23, 8:58am
You can do it easy peasy and comfortably for under $500. Charge out rates? Well considering most are buying and transporting for themselves its kinda redundant, you may as well include charge out rates for time looking on trademe, test driving locally etc etc.

pmessage, Jan 9, 12:57am
Hey Ryan I might take you up on the offer, when are you next scheduled to pick up a car from this neck of the woods? You could drive the new car up and drive your car back?