Towing automatic

maclad, Jul 4, 4:59pm
How do you go about towing an automatic. Daughters car needs towing about 15 to 20kms. Is it OK to do.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 4, 5:02pm
Are you still able to run the engine or has it died completely?
What exactly is the car make/model/year/engine?

maclad, Jul 4, 5:06pm
1999 not the engine something to do with gearbox I think. Anyway seems the deed is done now.

intrade, Jul 4, 5:06pm
no to far unless its a old dextron red fluid box and you can spin it over every 4 km to lube it

intrade, Jul 4, 5:07pm
what make ?if mazda tow it to crusher.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 4, 5:08pm
Assuming it's a regular auto, just rope tow it with the engine running in neutral. The issue with towing autos is that there is no fluid circulating for lubrication when not running. The other advantage is your power steering and brakes will still be working as well.

That said, if you are not confident rope towing or don't have a good helper. It's probably about $70 to hire a tow dolly from a hire place for half a day. Well worth the money as it makes the whole job an absolute cinch.

kevymtnz, Jul 4, 5:21pm
id say no use a dolly

marte, Jul 4, 11:28pm
I had a 86 Nissan L28 engine. Towed it about 400kms with no damage to the gearbox.
On a Audi A4B5 1800 '96, the garage undid the bolts on one CV so I could tow it away.

flack88, Jul 5, 1:40pm
Had mate tow in his GMC truck I was in a POS Hyundai I just looking at the tailgate on the main hiway was an experience I would rather not repeat,To dangerous nowdays to many braindead drivers to go to far.

roys351, Jul 6, 11:24pm
i towed an xy with c4 box 400k no probs

woody1946, Jul 8, 9:33pm
Towing anything these days is a death wish. Most towropes are only about 3 metres long, and if you are towed by a SUV you can't see ahead . At least getting towed by a car you can see ahead through their rear & front windows

mojo49, Jul 8, 9:35pm
Best to put it on a car trailer. Might cost more but safest towing option and also least risk of damaging the auto.

martin11, Jul 9, 7:13am
Think towing on a tow rope is now max 50kph

nice_lady, Jul 9, 7:19am
Hubby recalls about 20 or so years ago towing a mates girlfriend who'd broken down. He had a V8 valiant - reckons he asked if she'd been towed before she said NO, so he gave her some simple instructions and off they went. She had a little, older flatdeck hilux ute type vehicle and it was piled up as she was shifting house. He towed her from Mangakino to Tokoroa at night. Reckons he was doing 100Km/h most of that way. Those were the days :-)

john.h1, Aug 15, 5:50pm
I had a super snipe towed by so called good fellow i told him not to tow on hook what did idiot do it went for less than 5-6 km before catching fire and burning interior .

intrade, Aug 15, 6:39pm
can you elaborate that a bit more . as i dont understand your comment?

skull, Aug 15, 6:41pm
When I read it I thought he must be your brother.

gsimpson, Oct 25, 4:49pm
Not that long ago a Landcruiser is hard up behind me.(at night) At the passing lanes he shot past with a Subaru Brat on a short tow rope behind him. The poor Brat driver looked terrified.