VW 002 000 hydraulic fluid

rayonline_tm, Aug 6, 12:06pm
Hi all

Trying to find the right fluid. 2004 Bora 2.0. The Haynes book says VW 002 000. Is this synthetic or mineral. Which one do I need? I rang the local dealer and they were not sure which one it was.

The reason I ask is that I seen a 2001 Audi A4 and on the reservoir it says VW 002 000 Mineral Only.

Cheers.

martin11, Aug 6, 12:08pm

supernova2, Aug 6, 12:09pm
http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/fuchs_au/
That has a listing for a Bora.
Probably most of the other oil coys will list something as well.

rayonline_tm, Aug 6, 12:27pm
Thanks for that, that means synthetic for the Bora.

Interesting I put the Audi into it and it said synthetic but the reservoir says mineral only.

supernova2, Aug 6, 4:35pm
What scares me is when you look out the back of the franchise workshop and find drums of budget oils and not a sign of the genuine factory recommended lubricants. Some time ago I was trying to track down a peculiar spec of Elf transmission oil. The NZ agents told me that the 1 I was looking for had never been imported into NZ nor was there any other Elf product that met or was equivalent to that particular oil. Wonder what the franchise dealers had been using for years? The strangest thing of all was that Penrite actually make one that quoted the Elf spec and even stranger SCA had it on the shelf.

rayonline_tm, Nov 1, 9:07pm
Out of interest what sort of oil did you see them use?

I just got some fluid from the dealer the same price as others, maybe even a bit less than some other stores. Penrite LDAS says they are equiv, but they were the same price. It seems like VW 002 000 is by Pentosin CHF11S which is also interchangeable to Pentosin 202 (VW 004 000) but they are both synthetic on the manufacturer's website, there is the Pentosin 7-1 mineral but that is now discontinued it also says it's only for VW cars up to 1989. So maybe those 2 Pentosin are synthetic oil that are mineral based (?!).

In the summer, I was outside SCA and this other guy and I and the SCA guy was talking together. This other guy worked for a service place before and just said there was just 2 engine oil they got to use. Well I do know, what general mechanics. With others cars, they just put any oil in cars like a Penzoil 20w40 into a Ford Telstar 1992 or a 2001 VW. Of them even asked the mechanic for what oil he used and he wrote it down for him so he could do his own oil changes at home. Now Penzoil are not longer available in NZ. As someone who takes an interest in things, I read stuff up, I don't do all the jobs myself though. I've come across some mechanics that never mention about flushing fluids out or even the timing belt. Not even the air or fuel filter. It's like the car's been on the road for 10yrs and he said "the brakes are still good". I dunno if this a older style mechanic, who sees car maintenance over-cooked and that was his view.