1987 Home Built Trailer

v8_mopar, Aug 25, 8:19am
At the moment it have 6 month wof checks but as its a home built I was thinking I could de reg the plates and then re vin it so it becomes 2018 home built and get yearly wof checks.

Anyone done this?

mrfxit, Aug 25, 8:24am
You can but in reality theres a few options depending on honesty & whats been done to the trailer.
Some ppl try to reg as brand new to get the 1st 3 year wof & 1 year after that but it's pretty clear that it's not brand new.
Same with the other option of rebuilt for 1year wofs.

intrade, Aug 25, 8:26am
well i wont say i have but i can gurantee you it could work. Now here is how to do it . You would get new plates now and wait 1 year . in this time you refurbish the old trailer make it as new as possible to make it as a new home build clone copy of the old one.
Then you put the plates on and take it for a wof as a 1 year old home build trailer and get your 1 year wof. Works ok on home build trailers.
after 1 year you still geta first 2 year wof.
i would not try and pass it on as new build"straight after you got new plates" as any form of rust would give it away =its not new . you want 0 rust and as new condition looking after 1 year .Remember if you get to greedy you get caught . Thats what the free man down the road used to say lol
Rebuild dont get 1 year wof either i think . So must be new home build to quailfy for the full extent.

v8_mopar, Aug 25, 8:35am
Its a very sturdy full metal ex rental and only gets used 3 times per wof.
Just a tad annoying to have to wof nearly every time its used.

Thinking I might replace the bearing, wheels and repaint. Not that it needs its it. It would be good to be able to run it down with the car once a year

mrfxit, Aug 25, 8:40am
I see they have redefined a few class's of trailers
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/vehicle-types/vehicle-classes-and-standards/vehicle-classes/#TA

Can't locate the reg options page
New
Rebuilt
Old trailer with new reg

intrade, Aug 25, 8:43am
i agree that also makes it less likely to get infringments . after.
you need to do research and read finprints if rules have changed .

intrade, Aug 25, 9:03am
thats my home built trailer
Vehicle year:
Vehicle make:
TRAILER
Vehicle model:
LOCAL
Vehicle colour:
BLUE

Exemption start date:
24 Apr 2019
Exemption expiry date:
23 Apr 2020
Exemption period:

msigg, Aug 25, 9:37am
Yes I have done this 15 years ago. All good, all fair in love and war. Go for it. The way things are going you won't be able to do any work on your trailer in the future so do it now.

intrade, Aug 25, 9:58am
if you look i registered it and put it on hold the same time hold starts from when rego expired. i wonder if you could do that with cars also. hmmmmmm

morrisjvan, Aug 25, 10:56am
The rego system around trailers is so lax it is a joke.
I brought a used trailer that needed to be registered, so i went in to do that.
"what year is it ?''
"dunno''
''could you take a guess ?''
!

the-lada-dude, Oct 16, 10:45am
Ummmmm. 2019 . ?