Trailer coupling

appleman71, Sep 6, 4:11pm
what is the large screw in the front of head for?

rsr72, Sep 6, 4:17pm
Very true dat,

poorpeter, Sep 6, 4:23pm
adjust between 2 inch or 1and 7 8th ball ?

martin11, Sep 6, 4:27pm
To adjust the coupling to allow for the wear in it .

snoopy221, Sep 6, 4:46pm
Tis so that when ya pullin an empty tandem from welly ta aucks and the damn thang is rattlin it's ass off ya can do a little adjusty mint and shut da houer up

bashfulbro, Sep 6, 4:46pm
Definitely not for that.

xs1100, Sep 6, 4:58pm
anti rattle screw so adjust to suit yr ball, PS no such thing as a 2" ball in nz

appleman71, Sep 6, 5:06pm
ok,yes coupling can be adjusted 50mm to 17/8.Its a real bitch to get it on and off ball! So it would be this?

2sheddies, Sep 6, 5:24pm
You do have such a unique way of wording things haha! Love it!

tweake, Sep 6, 5:32pm
as mentioned its an anti rattle screw. don't go setting it to tight.

lookoutas, Sep 6, 6:03pm
Yes there is - I've got one that I ordered to come in with a truck from the States, and the bloody 50mm coupling won't fit onto it!

2" = 50.8mm

But you're right.

yz490, Sep 6, 6:54pm
Jump on it.

rsr72, Sep 6, 6:59pm
When will NZ officially ban 1 7/8'' couplings and change to the international standard 50mm couplings as the UK did some time ago?
Becoming highly annoying with many new cars now fitted with sophisticated forged OE 50mm tow balls.

yz490, Sep 6, 7:02pm
Recently got given a trailer with exactly 'that', a coulping i'd never seen with the large adjustable bolt around the front of it & did rattle it's arse off so wound it up & did the job perfect--well over did it & had to back off 1/4 turn to get it off when i got home. Nice to hear i'm not the only one. Did wonder though if there had been a horse shoe [crescent shape?] piece that had dropped off the bolt.

xs1100, Sep 6, 9:20pm
will not happen even tho jacinda offering anything it takes even she draws the line there

mojo49, Sep 6, 9:25pm
Jacinda would never publicly mention the subject of balls.

mrcat1, Sep 6, 11:23pm
My towbar has 1 7/8th, 50mm and 70mm balls and a pintle hook and can change between them in 30 seconds.

lookoutas, Sep 7, 6:20pm
That might get it on!

socram, Sep 7, 7:44pm
Ours has the two usual sizes supplied new with the towbar too.

"Acker Bilt" - which is a bit Strange On The Shore.

yz490, Sep 8, 9:01am
Yep Acker Bilk--was one of my favourites way back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7jZeXvpyZQ

lookoutas, Sep 8, 1:13pm
Jeez - thanks for reminding me how terrible I was.
It was a bugga that my brother left town and took all his instruments with him. Thus ended the pain of trying.

rsr72, Sep 8, 1:30pm
Banning the new sale of 1 7/8'' tow couplings would not pose any problems as existing ones would still be used, and the country would gradually change over to the more universal 50mm types especially with more new imported cars having them, and are much better quality ones.

mber2, Sep 8, 3:40pm
Not a matter of changing the ball to a bigger size. What about the million trailers around with the small couplings.

rsr72, Sep 30, 3:10am