Nissan Presage towbar

the-lada-dude, Aug 27, 3:36pm
Has any one a photo of one showing the attachment points, ? I have pulled the rear bumper and the only place I can see to attach is the 3 bolts on the chassis end plates either side . this is a reasonable mount point, but I am sure there must be another brace that goes back and up under the car to the chassis rail to stop the towbar flexing fore and aft

thejazzpianoma, Aug 27, 4:04pm
Without wanting to start a war. Perhaps consider carefully whether you want to tow with one. The last person to tow with one against my advice only had it last 12 months. Perhaps OK if only towing something super light. Pity on timing as I could have grabbed that towbar for you before it was disposed of.

the-lada-dude, Aug 27, 4:19pm
Yes , only light trailer 7.487 tonne all up . I don't wish to reinvent the wheel so to speak so to copy is the greatest form of flattery

poppy62, Aug 27, 4:52pm
If it hasn't got a tang going towards the front then it obviously doesn't need one. My Ute towbar is only anchored on either side with no central mount. I've towed car trailer with volvo on it and also my 6metre boat. No problems with flexing. Seems like you'd use a sledge hammer for nailing in tacks.

the-lada-dude, Aug 27, 5:45pm
Is your bar mounted on the sides of the chassis rails ?

poppy62, Aug 27, 8:54pm
Yes! There are those vehicles that do have a central flat bar the usually bolts to the spare wheel well or boot floor, but these are usually because of the weaker side mounts on offer by those vehicles monocoque construction. The central bar provides extra support for the "pulling" motion.

the-lada-dude, Aug 28, 7:16am
looks like i'll be loitering through car parks . lol

bigfatmat1, Aug 28, 7:25am
Will be different between brands of towbars. Ones I have fitted I have had to cut open the rear of the chassis. And slide brackets in that bolt from underneath.

the-lada-dude, Aug 28, 10:22am
Ah ha, . now that makes sense, as evey you tube post seems the same system, as there is no plate covering the rear chassis rails . so it is ok to cut the panels . ? can you recall if the internal bracket attached the side and bottom of the rail . ta

kazbanz, Aug 28, 10:44am
the lada dude--the ones ive had fitted bolt to the two bumper support rails -the box sections. There are holes in the side. You will see there are two variation. One you have to have to cut a slot in the bumper the other goes under the bumper and back up. -some of them do have an extra brace that goes up front to "front edge of the wheel well.

the-lada-dude, Aug 28, 12:11pm
Ta. Kazimoto, yes looks like the only way to do it is cut the back plate covering chassis rails, so you can get the guts of the bar down in and then bolt through the side and bottom, . the divers side will need the ex muffler removed temporarily to get the swine bolted up . be interesting to know if they had plates side and bottom om the chassis rail

kazbanz, Aug 28, 2:59pm
TLD--do what? I thought it was a case of using the pre existing holes in the side of that rail

poppy62, Aug 28, 3:01pm
Why don't you take a $2 stroll through Pick-a -Part, bound to be a Pressage with a T/bar on it to take a gink at.

saki, Aug 28, 3:12pm
What brand of tow bar, I fitted many in my bisiness time and have never dine any cutting.

bigfatmat1, Aug 28, 3:27pm
should use 50×50 washers. I use a angle grinder and cut off disc to open the chassis and tidy it up with diegrinder then give it some rust treatment

the-lada-dude, Oct 13, 2:56am
Yes I was thinking of using 3 > 5 mm long plate on the outside of the C/R instead of washers,

What I might do is use the grinder with a cut off disc and do open C/R surgery, measure some distances , a bolt hole pattern and see if I can't find something that can be hacked from the auto dismantler fella's I know

Ta fella's

Kazimoto . it's all very well having holes on the chassis rail . then what ?