D4 Toyota diesel ute 2013

frank1, Jul 15, 6:49pm
Any issues with this motor?-milage 135.000 manual.
I guess turbo,but not sure.

intrade, Jul 15, 7:15pm
any diesel is turbo non turbo could not meet euro 4 or higher emission standards.
personally id get a amarok instead if you need a diesel at least you can get parts cheaper then for a toyota and you will need some sooner or later especially a new flywheel and clutch. at about 160k

For diesel must drive 50km once a week at moderate speed above 2200rpm with no stop. To regenerate sucessfully The DPF

frank1, Jul 15, 7:41pm
Not what I asked intrade!

serf407, Jul 15, 7:49pm
It depends on how well the engine has been looked after and luck sometimes to how well a used toyota motor might last, some go on to 300K km etc others do this among the failure conditions.
There are used engines around from crashed hilux where the body is not worth fixing.
e.g Toyota 1kd p[iston failures
https://youtu.be/8l3UQvGbODM A case of going through some of the aussie and nz 4x4 online discussions not the right engine but just showing what the deep pocketaussies do for pistons. http://www.engineaustralia.com.au/now-available-performance-toyota-1vd-ftv-pistons

frank1, Jul 15, 8:08pm
OK thanks serf407
These motors I know little about,got out of my engine recon business 8 yrs ago,so thus the question--just looking at this Hi lux for my nephew.
But yes know about piston failures

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 8:53pm
I take it you are aware of the famous injectors/seals issue with those engines?

In all honesty, they are not a great truck and very over priced. Have you considered any others like the Ranger?

If it's being used primarily on road the Amarok would also be a great choice, yeah it goes well off road too but it's by far the most comfortable on road.

msigg, Jul 15, 9:20pm
Our contractors have this year and 2 off them have already done 360k no problems whatsoever. These are serviced by their company. That km is low. great truck.

andy61, Jul 15, 9:34pm
My 2010 Hilux has just gone over 300kms,still running extremely well,uses no oil between oil changes, I have the service records from previous owner(Downers) and has only required normal maintenance ie oil,filters,cambelt,injector washers/seals,etc. I replaced the clutch at 289kms which was still the original clutch from new, so I feel they can give a long lasting trouble free motoring.As mentioned by msigg they are a great truck.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 15, 9:45pm
Inlaws one has had serious work done on it every 6 months since purchase, probably 10K spent so far. It's only used on road for towing a light caravan. Not sure on km's done but it's very low, nothing like those above.

I have a relation who is an engine rebuilder who was worried about the viability of his business until these engines came out and saved the day.

djrandomguy, Jul 15, 11:19pm
the d4 range was causing headaches for a long while, I know you're not looking for 'buy an XYZ' but the hi-lux hasn't been the best choice for a while now largley due to the D4 series of engines not being as reliable as previous toyota donks. You should seriously consider other options and compare them on price and performance before purchasing.

frank1, Jul 16, 5:20pm
Thanks guys,all points taken,told nephew.
Up to him now.

rim12, Nov 22, 1:10pm
Please note this injector/seal problem as mentioned by Jazz is common in most modern diesels including those horrible french engine Nissan utes.