Consumer Guarantee Act - purchased a new car

Page 1 / 4
mike2590, Sep 27, 10:12am
Just after a bit of advice. We purchased a new second hand car, 2008 Toyota at 70,000's about 4 months ago. my partner checked the oil 6-8 weeks after purchasing and it was low in oil so we topped up, 2 months later (last weekend) my partner checked the oil again and it was so low it wasnt showing on dipstick. We also purchased the extra 3 year mecanical warranty, so i rung them this morning to book car in to get the oil usage looked at, and the guy on the phone at the warranty place said that we need to be aware that it could "Carbon combustion" where oil escapes past the pistons and combusts, if thats the case, they dont cover it under the warranty and we would be liable to pay. would we be in our rights to go back to the place we purchased the car from and get them to remedy it? this is a worst case scenario, but now Im freaking out!

tgray, Sep 27, 10:18am
Probably just an oil leak. No need to freak out, just get it checked first.
The dealer who sold it to you will be obligated to fix it for you.

toyboy3, Sep 27, 10:19am
Take the car back to the dealer where you bought it , and let them sort it
Do not go anywhere else

mike2590, Sep 27, 10:23am
The car is booked in tomorrow to be looked at under our warranty, if its not something the warranty will cover then i will be contacting the dealer straight away.

m16d, Sep 27, 10:51am
If its a Toyota with only 70thou on it, shouldn't be using any oil.
. are you its not leaking. ?
. probably got some cheap crap oil in it. change it yourself for some decent semi synthetic oil.

tgray, Sep 27, 11:05am
What kind of Toyota?

mike2590, Sep 27, 11:08am
Theres no oil patches under the car, the first time we filled it up when it was low, we bought the best stuff from the gas station where we were.

mike2590, Sep 27, 11:09am
Mark X 7 seater wagon.

sw20, Sep 27, 11:21am
Ring the dealer and ask them what they would like to do about the situation. Don’t go near the warranty yet. If you don’t give the dealer the chance to remedy first, you are going to be shit out of luck with any CGA claim.

m16d, Sep 27, 11:22am
Long time ago, I had a mate that had a country grocery store and fuel pumps. he used to sell refined oil in Shell containers.

bwg11, Sep 27, 11:25am
This "carbon combustion" would be a new one. What does the warranty company thinks happens to oil which gets past worn ring, bores or valve seals and appears blue at the tail pipe?

mike2590, Sep 27, 11:25am
Yeah once the garage tells us whats wrong, we will go straight to the dealer.

vtecintegra, Sep 27, 11:50am
You really should have done things the other way around

kazbanz, Sep 27, 11:59am
hi Mike2590 I have a couple of questions for you
1) What engine in in the Mark X ZIO ? -theres 2 options
2) What are the KM travelled now? 70000km on purchase
3) What oil was put into the car when it was low?
4) why didn't you contact the dealer as soon as you noticed the issue?
please understand Im not passing judgement just needing info to help you.

lusty9, Sep 27, 12:02pm
Take it to the dealer mate! Don't be a hotshot and go down your own path.

lusty9, Sep 27, 12:05pm
I'd say it's a wound back Asian import. Probably more like 270k

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:07pm
Engine is 2azfe, purchase k's was 70,490, car is now at 80,000. Not sure about oil, I sat in the car while partner went inside gas station. The forecourt attendant dealt with it all. Its not really been an "issue" up until it now. When we checked oil first, it was low but not dangerously low so just thought maybe car dealer didnt fully top it up after it came into country, but this last weekend when it was low again, i contacted the warranty company because thats what we were told to do. but once we find out whats wrong, i will contact the dealer. We bought the warranty for situations like this but will contact the dealer soon.

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:14pm
Sorry, wasnt trying to be a "hotshot". I purchased the extra mechanical warranty and just thought this is what I bought it for so I should use it. But thanks, partner is on the phone to dealer now.

johotech, Sep 27, 12:18pm
From Wikipedia

Excessive Oil Consumption[edit]
The 2AZ-FE engine in the 2007-2009 Camry may burn excessive oil and is involved in this lawsuit. [1] Other engines are also affected. [2] If your Toyota engine is burning more than 1 quart of oil in 1200 miles, has less than 150k miles, and is less than 10 years old, Toyota service will perform a free oil consumption test to determine if your engine is affected. There are approximately 1,715,200 vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

kazbanz, Sep 27, 12:19pm
Ok Mike you need to contact the dealer -sorry to be pushy but you need to do so NOW.
Do NOT let/get any mechanic to touch the car at your expense.
4 months and 5000km from purchase you are definitely covered but not for work carried out without checking with the dealer first.
Theres a few possibilities as far as whats going on.
Not all of them are major issues.
ohh one other question--what did the PP inspection show up ?

tgray, Sep 27, 12:25pm
Maybe the forecourt attendant only put in half a litre and it was still low?
My point is, you have travelled 10,000k's in it and I presume the car is not 'smoking from the exhaust' ie/burning oil?
I pose these two rhetorical questions for you to think about, to emphasise it really needs to be looked at by someone who knows a little about cars.
Let us know how you get on.

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:27pm
No pre purchase inspection. Just checked paperwork and car was purchased 5 months and 2 days ago. Partner just spoke to dealer who said "Engine light on?", "smoke coming out the back? No? Sounds like the cars running mint. Told us their "warranty" ended 2 days ago so we best go through the warranty company

tgray, Sep 27, 12:29pm
Their warranty doesn't have a particular end under the CGA, lol.
It is totally misleading for them to tell you that.
A good dealer would show concern and ask you to come in and they will check it for you.
Just wondering, are they MTA Motor Trade Association members? It is simply not good enough for you to be told that.

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:29pm
Its used 3 litres since we bought it, a litre was put in at the gas station, which is why we thought that maybe the dealer didnt full top it up, and then 2 litres this past weekend.

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:30pm
He said at the end to put it in the garage tomorrow under the mechanical warranty and to let them know whats wrong, but the guy didnt seem bothered. And the guy was the same guy we dealt with when we bought it.