Consumer Guarantee Act - purchased a new car

Page 2 / 4
tgray, Sep 27, 12:33pm
I would not be claiming under the mechanical warranty at this stage. That is letting them off the hook and you presumably have an excees that would need paying. You should not be out of pocket at all in a problem with the car other than wear and tear/minor issues.
Using 3 litres in 5 months does not sound like a minor issue.
Again, have it looked at by an independent garage and get a written report if you can.

johotech, Sep 27, 12:42pm
I would be talking to the manager/owner of the company, not just a salesman.

As others have said, your first avenue should be the dealer - and the dealer should not be fobbing you off with misinformation.

jmma, Sep 27, 12:45pm
Its due for a Major service anyway, Oil change with correct oil will probably sort it.
When was the last Service?

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:51pm
Not sure when it was last done, its a new import, but was booked in for a service next week as we have a trip planned for school holidays.

mike2590, Sep 27, 12:54pm
Just spoke to the consumer protection people, and they advised my partner to ring back and speak to a manager and say that under the CGA, they have to repair, replace or refund. Who is to pay the cost of the car to get looked at? Us or the dealer?

rbd, Sep 27, 1:01pm
Because you organized it without giving the dealer the opportunity to, you.

henderson_guy, Sep 27, 1:09pm
Cancel your appointment with the mechanic, and take it back to the dealer. It cannot be stressed enough, if you take it to a mechanic without letting the dealer sort it first, you run the risk of being out of pocket for any repairs.
Take it to the dealer.

mike2590, Sep 27, 1:14pm
We have contacted the dealer and are awaiting for them to call back with what they want us to do.

mike2590, Sep 27, 1:15pm
Have cancelled the appointment and are awaiting the dealer to call us back with what they want us to do. We live 3 hours from where we bought it so cant just "Take it back"

pdc1, Sep 27, 1:34pm
make sure it is not just phone calls either. Start a paper trail. As above, make the dealer do all the decisions, and arranging for diagnosis / repair. It will be worth the effort and cost to return the car 3 hours if necessary.

richardmayes, Sep 27, 1:46pm
At work we had a previous shape 1800cc Corolla, it started drinking oil at about 80,000km.

That car always lived in the same covered car park, and it never dripped any oil on the floor, so I assumed it was exiting via the exhaust pipe.

elect70, Sep 27, 1:47pm
I thought the mech warranty bypassed the dealer thats why they sell them to clients . Just take it to their "prefered repairer ' for assesment .

poppy62, Sep 27, 2:16pm
All the Toymoto boys out in force on here. " Carbon Combustion"? must be "diesel" Toyota thing going on. Mike2550 i hope the Toyota guys here can sort you problem, although Richardmayes may be right.

poppy62, Sep 27, 2:18pm
C'mon mate you better get the manual for Toyota problems out. You may need a hand to lift it!

bigfatmat1, Sep 27, 2:25pm
The 2azfe is a oil burner. Will need a set of rings like every other one. I've said it many times before avoid this engine.

rsr72, Sep 27, 2:26pm
A blocked/faulty crankcase breather system would cause crankcase pressurisation forcing oil mist past the rings to be burnt in combustion chambers and dropping oil level.
Had that exact scenario with a late model petrol 6cyl BMW some years ago and breather fixed by BMW at their cost after much testing.

tgray, Sep 27, 3:19pm
No one is suggesting they get it sorted at their expense instead of going back to the dealer. My point was they could take it back there and get the fob off that there's nothing wrong etc and not find the actual issue.
I say this because it may not be blindingly obvious as to what it is and the dealer has already expressed little interest in helping out.
If you get it checked out independently, you are more likely to find out exactly what is wrong with it and then go back to the dealer to fix.
Just a thought.

kazbanz, Sep 27, 3:54pm
Ok based on the above post I would say its time to put your big boy /girl britches on and ramp it up one step.
A formal letter need to be drafted stating clearly that there is a major concern re oil consumption as the engine is clearly consuming an excessive amount of oil.
Given you have travelled just 5000km in the past 5 months you would like this matter addressed by the dealership. You expect the cause of the oil consumption to be rectified by the dealership.
This can be in the form of an e mail or a letter. This MUST be delivered to the OWNER or manager of the dealership. Not just a lacky.

mopsy3, Sep 27, 4:00pm
There is a lot a mechanical warranty does not cover. Get a diagnosis and go back to the dealer. What mechanical warranty do you have/

kazbanz, Sep 27, 4:00pm
The above post aside-Was the oil changed by the dealer at time of purchase or by yourselves since purchase?
are you guys 100% certain the oil dipstick isn't being misread?
Apologies for the second comment--I recently dealt with a customer with almost EXACTLY your complaint (verbally) She turned up here and the car was so overfull of oil it was at the top of the dipstick.

mopsy3, Sep 27, 4:03pm
A diagnosis is totally at your expense. Your warranty does not kick in until the warranty company accept the job required. You also have to pay an excess which many people are not aware of.

mopsy3, Sep 27, 4:05pm
At the end of the day, whatever is wrong with it, the warranty company will only pay if they are obliged to pay. If they feel it is necessary they will send OP back to the dealer anyway.

mike2590, Sep 27, 4:15pm
Thanks, my partner spoke to the manager earlier today but again, he has fobbed us off, told us he would speak to his service department and call us back within an hour, my partner rung back an hour and a half ago and the manager told him he would get someone to call him. If we dont have any contact after tomorrow then I will send them a letter with a certain amount of time to rectify it or I will go higher.

stevo2, Sep 27, 6:45pm
Agreed, EXCEPT that has done 10,000km in 5 months (not 5000km). see post #18

supernova2, Sep 27, 6:48pm
NO. You must go to the dealer FIRST.

eta
Since the dealer has already tried to wriggle out by saying his warranty has expired I'd be making sure that any communication you have with the dealer is in writing, so email or text message. Make sure you keep every one of those messages.

Until you have it in writing from the dealer (and not just the salesman but the manager/owner) you should not do anything further.
You need to get the dealer to tell you exactly what they want you to do.

When and if it needs to be fixed remember the dealer is responsible for paying any excess charge that might be incurred if claiming on your extended mechanical warranty.