Mitre 10 trailer

arlenem, Aug 4, 10:59am
Bought one from there 3 years ago so first wof check today. Guy said it had Chinese bearings that are knackered and not first one from mitre 10 to come in like that. Said may not not be able to get the Chinese bearings here anymore so may have to put a whole new axle on. 1st warrant with not much use should have passed he said and said bearings should last up to 20 yrs.

Has this happened to anyone else?

atom.ant, Aug 4, 11:06am
Just go to saeco bearings they are bound to have the right bearings. In the 3 years have you ever checked in grease or the pre load.

amasser, Aug 4, 12:06pm
Few years ago but staff would not recommend them.

bitsy_boffin, Aug 4, 12:09pm
Consumer Guarantees Act, take it back to M10 for repair/replace/refund

gsimpson, Aug 4, 12:22pm
I would still expect them to be industry standard bearings available from a bearing supplier. So unless the bearings got so bad they damaged the shaft fresh bearings should be enough.

Trailers tend to not be used a lot which puts the bearings at risk of corrosion. Pays to put some fresh grease in each year. I use the grease for boat trailers. Even best quality bearings will fail if they get corrosion spots.

rob_man, Aug 4, 12:29pm
This is where the quality of the seals comes into question, I was replacing the bearings on my boat trailer every season. The bearings were readily available but not the seals for some strange reason. Re-using them is not such a hot idea I found.

gsimpson, Aug 4, 12:39pm
For a normal trailer the seals should not be much of an issue though.

The trailer I have had bearings fail early due to the wrong grease used at factory. It was a sticky chassis grease rather than a grease for high speed bearings.

tnt423, Aug 4, 3:28pm
x1
My Chinese trailers have the same bearings size as my nz made ones.

framtech, Aug 4, 4:52pm
I had a axle sheer off one of those M10 jobs, so I replaced the whole bloody steel axle, hubs, stubs , bearings and U bolts. I needed to know that I could load the bugger up and not have the thing crapping out. even replaced the position of the lights and fitted LED, good trailer now and still cheaper than having one built as the price of steel in NZ is crazy expensive

msigg, Aug 4, 4:58pm
My homemade trailer has the same bearings in and it was made 30 years ago. Unless heavily overloaded or dunked in salt water like a boat trailer then they should last forever. Definitely something wrong here.

s_nz, Aug 4, 5:02pm
This.

(assuming non-commercial use)

ambo11, Aug 4, 5:09pm
Yep me too, replaced the axle with 50mm 4mm wall,hubs/stubs etc with 1500KG Trojan ones (made in China anyway). Plus replaced lights with LEDs and its been a good trailer since, would have paid for itself time and again.

rjgmjs, Aug 4, 7:11pm
Bought a brand new Kea 7x4 in 2009, gets used virtually everyday 10 months of the year, replaced Tread plate deck in 2014. No dramas other than the usual service/WOF's. Also bought a brand new Avon 7x4 in 2014(Mitre 10 brand), bought as a spare, sits in my shed most of the time. Had no issues with it so far, all bolted together, not the quality of the Kea, but then again, cost half the new price.

supernova2, Aug 4, 7:50pm
Good grief. Our trailer was made in 1984 (34 yrs ago!) and its still got the original bearings.

clangie, Aug 5, 7:26am
mitre10 trailers must be shit if they dont even use them as their courtesy trailers, know a guy who had a load of gravel on one-went over a tiny dip in the road and both stub axles snapped off haha, he spent about 1500 re building with all new axles etc, probly coulda brought a decent trailer for the same price, another guy i know got one as a 2nd trailer-galv used to come off onto your hands when ya touched it. buy a decent trailer and you never regret it

sooby, Aug 5, 7:38am
I find this funny, as when shopping around to buy a new trailer for mum was told by a Mitre 10 guy 'shop around, you'll see our trailers are better quality than the cheap Chinese rubbish sold at Bunnings!'

He was right in that the Bunnings trailers are definitely 'you get what you pay for' quality wise.

tnt423, Aug 5, 8:44am
Its not just the steel that is expensive, galvanizing is starting to get up there. Even buying the trailer parts here with 60% off is expensive, some parts I get out of China come in the same box as the wholesalers sells me here just way cheaper from China.

mrfxit, Aug 5, 8:46am
Yep a lot of those cheap factory made trailers are nasty stuff for sure.
30 years ago I picked up an old 6x4 trailer from the dump that needed a few repairs.
Already had a chassis made from 2 trips of angle iron to form box section rails.
I put rebuilt springs & a fresh axle under it with Viva hubs & rims & about 5 years later put a new ply deck on it.
Replaced the bearings twice with other sets of s/h bearings in that time & never had any other issues.
Even had car bodys/ gravel/ full scrap metal bins/ huge loads of timber etc etc on it

Tho, is about due for a new deck now, (25 years later)

xs1100, Nov 1, 1:12pm
Last I heard they weren't doing the Chinese brgs either