Where to buy Denso distributor cap for 96 Corolla

aprilguy, Sep 8, 9:01pm
I need a new distributor cap for my 96 corolla with 5A-FE engine. The current one is marked `Denso 029-120-321.'
There are 2 options on Supercheap for $70 and $126 but I want more choices. I intend sticking to the above ID number unless advised otherwise.
Where else should i try?

intrade, Sep 8, 9:12pm
try partsmaster and ask for trade discount

sw20, Sep 8, 9:13pm
Toyota?

Genuine was $45 retail price last time I bought a dizzy cap.

intrade, Sep 8, 9:18pm
https://www.partmaster.co.nz/productlist/vehicleparts?VariantId=1062&Make=TOYOTA&Model=COROLLA&Year=1996&EngineSize=5&FuelType=PETROL&ChassisNo=null&page=10&count=10&viewMode=List&ItemCategoryCode=Ignition
maks sure to select your vehicle you want plugs bosch or denso you want the rotor cap and the leads.

otherwise you nuke the ignition module soon and that costs more then all the parts i mentioned alone.
Dont foget to ask for trade discount or else you pay retail. partmaster give discount normally

intrade, Sep 8, 9:24pm
you need to set timing with timing light after you can do by ear solong as you have 95 octane fuel in there you can get it close without a timing light when you snap the throttle and it dont pings on 95 thats where the timing wants to be. forget tuning it on 91 it will ping no matter what you do.

aprilguy, Sep 8, 9:40pm
I am just replacing the cap, timing won't be affected surely.

panicky, Sep 8, 10:10pm
GD839-C is the x-ref

panicky, Sep 8, 10:12pm
Partmaster retail for $83.40, Supercheap $69.00

mecanix, Sep 9, 6:31am
a poster above nailed it.

toyota

45 odd dollar's.

sw20, Sep 9, 7:39am
I didn't even pay $45. It was $29 and change plus GST trade price with my car club discount. This was for a 4AGE, but I'm sure dizzy caps are one of the line priced items.

aprilguy, Sep 9, 8:36am
I would grab the Toyota part for $45 if I knew the number. So far I got TOYOTA 19101-11060 as an `indirect' alternative to the Denso (listed on Yoyo Parts.com) but pretty sure it is not a match from looking elsewhere.

supernova2, Sep 9, 10:30am
So thats simple.
Go to a toyota parts dept and ask for the part they say you need for your car.
Then you dont have to worry about part numbers or anything they will just supply what you need.

aprilguy, Sep 9, 11:37am
Yes I went to the Toyota dealer and got the cap for $57.50. The price for the rotor arm was prohibitive so I will look for an alternative.
The dealer gave me the OEM number for the roitor arm which I will try to get from China. But when I search online there are two different arms numbered 19102-11370. The one I need has the protruding metal bit at the end, not the dark material.

gsimpson, Sep 9, 2:39pm
In the past I have had trouble with cheap rotors (including Bosch made in Mexico) It has high voltage going through it and will give you trouble if the insulation breaks down.

aprilguy, Sep 9, 2:48pm
Yes it is just that I won't pay $53 for the toyota rotor.
I just installed the new cap and the car would not start. I had some difficulty connecting the leads (some seemed too short with the new cap) and turns out I buggered up the sequence, mistook 1 for 4 and vice versa.
That youtube mechanic Peter Finn showed me the right numbering and it starts fine now.

gsimpson, Sep 29, 9:45am
Yes that is a bit steep. For the mine it was $9 for Lotus vs $6 for Repco. I didn't mind paying a 50% premium in that case.