2nd car recommendations

jaydeess, Aug 11, 8:56pm
HI Guys,
Is time to get rid of the 7 seater as the kids are growing up, The old ford territory is hungry on gas, but is smooth and comfortable. We would very rarely take 7 people in the car these days, What would be a great replacement. Looking to spend about 12 k for a run around.

Cheers

sw20, Aug 12, 8:32am
Nissan Leaf.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 12, 9:34am
Alfa Giulietta, surprisingly very reliable and cheap to run. Excellent depreciation now for the next few years. Amazing on gas and of course, all the fun of driving an Alfa.
Also, parts are easy and cheap to get and they are nice wee cars to work on.

socram, Aug 12, 9:38am
Mini Cooper.

harm_less, Aug 12, 9:45am
Nissan Leaf

budgel, Aug 12, 11:35am
Audi A4 1.8 or 2.0 turbo. Economical with reasonable power when needed.

mojo49, Aug 12, 11:41am
Depending on your thinking, I have found the a 3 to 3.5 litre V6 jap car, Nissan, Toyota etc done modest kms is a great drive. Economical on the open road. Great comfort, quiet, reliable, reasonable $ to maintain. I find them much better value for $ than a not much more economical 2 litre or smaller car. We have a 3.5L Maxima as her-indoors daily driver, which we use for trips sometimes. Great car.

serf407, Aug 12, 12:37pm
TA - bit confused by the future use pattern, do you expect to have occasions to still require a larger vehicle and could still the keep the Territory if it only going to have a low trade in worth? some people find as the kids grow up they actually find it advantageous to have a larger vehicle when the kid brings 4 or more new large mates from uni/ the oe back home for xmas/ new years and the kids are physically larger etc
Toyota Estima van or similar if the territory is sold, to still have people number carrying ability.
Cars - suzuki kizashi, merc b200, bmw - 118i, 320i. There are a few Lexus is250, that are close to budget.

stbossman, Aug 12, 12:59pm
you must be very lucky a family member bought a brand new guiletta at less than 2 years old the gearbox packed up, still under warranty luckily

dealer reluctanlt repaired it but it took a month to get parts, it has now been

fied and sold 3 weeks ago, she did not replace it an alpha but a ford

msigg, Aug 12, 1:14pm
Yes the Camry would be a good long term car to keep, hold their price and very comfortable, good for open road or city. Otherwise a nice RAV4 for something slightly higher, easy to get in and out of , great city or highway, big enough to tow a trailer or the likes. You need something reliable, otherwise every time you go to drive it something $ craps out and you end up very disappointed. Each to their own though, some like to work on their cars every weekend, as you get older and wiser you just want reliability and comfort.

franc123, Aug 12, 3:00pm
RAV4 or CRV would be the picks if you are still wanting an SUV experience but with less space and fuel consumption.

franc123, Aug 12, 3:11pm
Totally normal scenario, actual ownership of these things is a ghastly experience, I'll bet they lost a ton of money on it. I'm sure Alfa have some repeat customers but for the average motorist who wants reliable transport in between 'having fun' on the road, most of them can't wait to bail out of them. Poor local support, parts delays and off road periods that occur more often than what's reasonable are the norm, no matter what you read from certain people on here.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 12, 4:32pm
What specifically went wrong with the transmission?
I have a number of friends and acquaintances running these now. No transmission or any other problems yet. If there is a known issue am keen to find out.

I hope your family member didn't swap it for a Ford with a powershift.

billyfieldman, Aug 12, 5:10pm
Toyota Crown Majesta with 10 airbags. Safe, comfortable and reliable.

, Aug 12, 6:01pm
For a second car, and you already have a car for long range travel, you really can't go past a Nissan Leaf, basically indestructible reliability wise, almost no maintenance, infinitesimal running costs (like $2 to $4 per 100km depending on you power provider). Very quick off the line and very smooth to drive (same weight as a Camry).

kazbanz, Aug 12, 7:57pm
dare I say it--Don't bother.
You like what you've got. its a bit juicy-12k buys a shed loada gas.
Think about it for a bit
You wont be saving ALL the fuel the old vehicle uses you are only saving the DIFFERENCE between to old and the new.
So say the old one costs 4k a year to run--the new one 2k --that's 6 years worth of juice the 12k costs ya.
Just something worth thinking about.
Otherwise my suggestion for you--Mazda Premacy/Nissan lafesta I stop model -2012 and newer. They are exactly the same vehicle with a different badge and c aoule of vvery minor cosmetic changes. comfortable to drive good on juice

jaydeess, Aug 12, 8:45pm
Ahh I hear you, but your not looking at it thru females eyes:-)

jaydeess, Oct 28, 6:54am
cheers Guys, ill look at the Nissan Leaf.