Opinions on Honda Accord wagon 2008-12

bazfan, Oct 26, 5:31pm
Looks like a stylish little rig- anyone own one? What are they like to drive?

Thinking about these as an alternative to a small SUV like an Outlander, IX35, Forester, Rav4 etc. Currently have an Outback 3.6 which goes like a scalded cat and handles well with heaps of room for the dogs. It does a respectable 11L/100km combined but wondering with the impending $0.10c fuel tax how much more its going to hit my back pocket. Also don't head up to the mountain as much anymore so questioning needing AWD

It's probably better looking than the other Jap wagons in the class and better appointed to with a lot of fruit. There are a few up for sale with around 100k on the clock. My mechanic warned me off Honda's once they do over 120K electrics etc start failing- so thats why they don't sell many fleet cars or you don't see many Hondas as taxis.

What is a reasonable price for one of these private sale- see people are asking between 11k and 15k

tamarillo, Oct 26, 5:38pm
Brilliant wagons, chose one over alternatives, better motor with more guts, loves to rev, still economical 2.4. NZ ones have Much higher spec than Mazda 6 etc. Reason not sold as fleet as that was Hondas policy to not offer fleet discounts. Instead they only bought in higher spec for private market. Capable of big miles.
Drive is good too, much more enjoyable if you're a spirited corner chaser.

ceebee2, Oct 26, 8:50pm
I bought my daughter a 2005 one at 70k and it ha now done 200k with no major issues. Excellent value for money. Have looked at maybe getting her a later one she likes it so much.

manolo, Oct 26, 8:50pm
I think you'll find the Subie drive is much better than the Accord and being awd will hold the road better. The Accord wagon also has a very small boot- about same size as a Mazda 3 and slopes down so hard to fit a taller dog in

tamarillo, Oct 26, 8:53pm
Can't Agree. 2.4 has so much more pep than a 2.5 Subaru in much more entertaining chassis. My 08 worked as a company car with very full boot and often a big dog. You might be thinking of the previous generation accord.

audi_s_ate, Oct 27, 6:14am
Agreed, I have an older one which is essentially the same motor - will have done 350k in a couple of weeks. Still uses no oil, everything works despite it being the L with all the toys. Fully recommend them.

stevo2, Oct 27, 7:01am
The proposed 10c/lt fuel tax will add about 5% to your weekly fuel bill. If you are currently paying $50/week for petrol, you will now pay $52.50.
You need to decide whether its worth changing vehicles to save $2.50/week ($130 p/a)
If you want to buy an SUV, in my opinion, most of them are quite good but wont be as nice to drive as your Outback.

msigg, Dec 13, 1:16pm
above is correct, see it time and time again, you never save on fuel like you think you will, best is to buy what you like and be happy in life, selling and buying is a mugs game, you loose thousands before you even start. Good luck.