Cheap run about .

toysky, Aug 15, 7:41pm
Up to about 4k.

Get about 40mpg in old lingo.

Mainly for 1 person , short trips 50k max.

Better than my present Holden Astra city yr 2000.

Any thoughts.

Cheers

rovercitroen, Aug 15, 7:43pm
How much space to you need?

intrade, Aug 15, 7:47pm
na not for 4k your best to keep that parts are available . i just rebuilt half the engine on my 03 astra for 250 euros

thejazzpianoma, Aug 15, 7:48pm
Grande Punto 1.4 Petrol. But buy it first then dollar reserve your Astra. The reason being you want to pick a really nice one. Also Fiat Panda.

I would also consider saving a bit more to really move up the ranks if your Astra is in good shape. Astra's may not be the most low maintenance or reliable car in the world, but they are comfortable and well featured. So you want to consider what you are actually gaining for your money. Unless of course, the Astra is on it's last legs or due some very expensive maintenance and repairs.

If the Astra is in good shape I would seriously consider waiting and getting a 3 year old Panda for about 8K NZ New with ultra low km. Then you are buying something that will do 70mpg (not having you on) and is going to last a long long time with very little in the way of maintenance and repairs.

dublo, Aug 15, 7:54pm
Early 2000s Honda Civic - but go for low km and full service history!

stevo2, Aug 15, 7:59pm
MX5, and you will enjoy your driving

toysky, Aug 16, 6:35am
I enjoy my year 2000 astra. Have toyed with idea of getting a 2004 convertible. Or just up in yrs to a 2004 2005 with lower ks. Mine has 195ks. Does not miss a beat. Use no water, no oil. Would a 2004 be a little better e gineered or same? It does in fact drive quieter, smoother than our mazda sp2.3 sedan. Its a 3.

kazbanz, Aug 16, 9:10am
Much as I HATE Astra's (and I do) Im thinking if its running good and is worth stuff all why change cars.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 24, 7:12pm
Better the devil you know. Chances of buying something for 4K that doesn't need some work done are fairly low. As above, keep saving then get something like the Panda which you will be able to put 200K on and will cost next to nothing to own/run. Otherwise you are not really gaining anything.