Accurate pricing when selling a 1980's car:

Page 1 / 2
shauna6, Aug 13, 8:15pm
I have been tasked in selling my in-laws 1981 Toyota Crown.

Where is the best place to find a rough guide for pricing?

Best place to list.

carstauranga001, Aug 13, 8:24pm
What's the km's, condition and ownership history? These will dictate whether she's a $300 wreaker car or a $10K collectable.

tlng, Aug 13, 9:03pm
It is all about kms and condition. If it is like new, it will be worth a fair bit.
If it is a bit worn and a hundred thousand kms it will be worth a whole lot less. But still cool as.

tlng, Aug 13, 9:03pm
Give is the kms and how original and we’ll give you the value.

msigg, Aug 13, 9:05pm
$2000

tlng, Aug 13, 9:07pm
Seems a bit low if it is a collctable.

tony9, Aug 13, 9:46pm
Take good pictures and do an accurate write up. Sell it here with a $1 reserve and you will genuinely get the market value.

shauna6, Aug 13, 10:50pm
1981 Toyota Crown, 339,338 km. Paint in mint condition, everything is clean and tidy, all original parts.

ace32, Aug 13, 11:29pm
$2001

msigg, Aug 14, 6:21am
$2400

tamarillo, Aug 14, 7:00am
339,338 with mint paint. Doesn't add up.

tgray, Aug 14, 7:53am
OP, if you are in no hurry and it looks as good as you say it does, why not start at $4995 and see that happens?
If you are getting less than 10 hits a day and no ph calls/emails after a couple of weeks, that would be your cue to drop the price.
If may only be worth a couple of grand, but it just takes one person to want it.
I would strongly suggest a classified listing, rather than an auction.

the-lada-dude, Aug 14, 8:06am
If it is like this one . just buu ttee full . drool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown#/media/File:Toyota_Crown_Coupe_S60_2563cc_registered_June_1972.JPG

I once had the saloon in this very model .

mr2stiff, Aug 14, 9:54am
It does if it's been garaged and washed and polished on a regular basis.

budgel, Aug 14, 11:42am
We used to call that model with the weird bonnet line 'The Rhinocerous'!

bwg11, Aug 14, 12:14pm
Crowns of that vintage were CBU imports, so it will be factory paint on a premium model, not a quick squirt of colour at Thames or Hornby local assembly plants.

mrfxit, Aug 14, 12:56pm
ONLY if the right ppl are watching that week

the-lada-dude, Aug 14, 2:50pm
only ever seen about 3 of the coupes. cool look'n machine

richardmayes, Aug 14, 3:25pm
Hi Shauna

I don't know these cars at all, but older rear-wheel-drive Japanese cars like this are kind of a niche enthusiast thing. It is the sort of car that could sit on the market for a long time with no interest, OR someone might snap it up within half an hour of listing if the right buyer happened to be in the market.

I see there is one 1981 Crown for sale on here that has been spray painted matt black and lowered asking $6,000, and an older 1970s model with a manual gearbox conversion asking $10,000. Both of those prices seem ambitious to me, but then I am not really interested in aging Toyota crowns, and these are very much cars for people who are interested!

If your relative is desperate to get rid of it asap, put it on a $1 reserve auction and cross your fingers, that will at least bring into play all the people who want to spend a few hundred dollars on something that has a WoF and may keep going for a while.

If you have time, maybe try listing it for something like $5,000 or $6,000, wait a while and re-list lower if there are no takers?

You could also browse oldschool.co.nz which is a big fan forum where you might be able to get an idea of what people are paying for old Toyota Crowns, or Toyota Cressidas which occupy a similar kind of space.

sw20, Aug 14, 3:31pm
I used to believe that too. Until I tried it myself and was very disappointed in the $3k I got for my 100% original and rust free BC5 RS Legacy in really top shape.

tweake, Aug 14, 5:51pm
i think it will depend a lot on which engine its got.
there will be a big difference in price between the one with the supra engine and the small L series diesel.

carstauranga001, Aug 14, 8:47pm
That's a 70's model. 81 is the square box and I don't recall a coupe. OP never said coupe anyway.

OP I doubt it is worth much more that 2K due to the km's.

stock, Aug 14, 9:26pm
Turners say they sold a Toyota Crown 1996 Majesta 101,212 km for $6,009.00 in the last year.

https://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicle-Sale-Price-History/

bwg11, Aug 14, 9:37pm
I would expect it to have the 2.5 litre "M" six which was the predecessor of the renown 3 litre Supra six. Desirable.

tweake, Aug 14, 9:49pm
i was thinking of the 2.8 the supra had which was used in a few other cars.