Gonna use a mini roller and paint.the roof and

Page 1 / 2
phalanax, Sep 5, 6:58am
Bootlid. of my CAR. lol. got a patch on the roof where some over exuberant car buffer has at sometime in the past polished thru to the primer/base coat same with a smaller patch on the bootlid. Ive used spray cans before to paint an entire car and they turned out not too bad. compared to the lacquer peeled mess they once were. but im gonna have a go at painting the entire roof and top of the bootlid with a fine mohair miniroller. lol. im off to buy some b196 delft blue metallic and some clearcoat and will pick up a couple of mini roller sleeves from M10. Im about to find out if spray really is KING. lol. will post an update when in done. lol. this will be an interesting experiment. the advantage I have is the panels are reasonably flat . here goes. one thing for sure you wont be able too see the basecoat anymore when im done. lol.
ciao. 'the cheap miserly dog'.

phalanax, Sep 5, 7:05am
Might scuff it up first with some 800grit very lightly. by hand of course. who really looks at the roof anyway. lol. bonus on the boot is it has a garnish cutting off the top from the bottom I think . wait. i know i can do it. pass me that masking tape mate. lol.

friendly_prawn, Sep 5, 7:40am

the-lada-dude, Sep 5, 8:05am
RR still hand painted their cars till about the 1950's I believe . I have seen some hand painted car pieces ( brush ) amazing finish

Are you using a 1 or 2 pot lacquer, if so you may need a retarder with the mix . the painting I have seen was enamel

martin11, Sep 5, 8:07am
Most of the early cars were painted by hand ,and then hand polished . Probably a lost art now .

gammelvind, Sep 5, 2:05pm
Definitely need retarder thinner as anything designed for automotive is going to go off to quickly for brush or roller. Also some of the rollers out there can’t take the thinners that are used in automotive, they swell up and fall apart dismantling themselves all over the job.

phalanax, Sep 5, 2:14pm
Im waiting for the paint should be ready around 4pm. Im hoping the coolness of the evening southerly will retard the drying. lol. might zip out and take some before pics. have decided to just do the roof at this stage,given its an experiment. will upload some b4 /after pics sometime. im on my way from misery to. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1yYDuSf3C4
Might stick the paint in the freezer for 5-10 mins. just to be sure. lol

kazbanz, Sep 5, 3:31pm
my guess is that its gonna dry too fast -

dabountyhunter, Sep 5, 3:48pm
My guess, the roller will disintergrate and leave a foam finish. Unless the glue in roller is solvent proof or op uses enamel.

trogedon, Sep 5, 4:12pm
Coachpainting used to be the term and the guys who did it did great jobs with enamel. There are some excellent Youtube videos of guys who roller paint their cars followed by after paint finishing to good effect. Best to do the whole car though.

beno, Sep 5, 4:13pm
dont do that. you will be better off putting it in a bowl of hot water to heat up. it will thin out and flow better. ur welcome:)

phalanax, Sep 5, 6:02pm
Well the first coat is on and to be honest its looking pretty good. Ive used base 60/40% thinner mix. just letting it settle before i power into again. the roller handled it but im gonna use a new roller sleeve for each coat. bonus is it doesnt have the spray splutter you get with the premixed cans. in fact I think its gonna work out pretty darned good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOek4z32Vg

phalanax, Sep 5, 7:42pm
Second coats done. just getting ready for the 3rd and final base coat. I got a tad sloppy with the 2nd coat put too much on at the front its taken a while to dry. lucky I havent got any runs. phew.

phalanax, Sep 5, 9:00pm
3rd coats on. gonna leave it overnite and do the gloss coats tomorrow after work. its looking pretty good. definitely better than it was before i started . the patches have gone. the colour seems a fraction darker . but it might change with a good dry. will see how it looks tomorrow.

marte, Sep 5, 9:10pm
I have seen cars painted with what looked like to be a hearth brush.

elect70, Sep 6, 2:06pm
They used to paint Rolls royces with camel hair brushes . But probably cant buy the bruhes anymore

phalanax, Sep 6, 4:25pm
Yep the clearcoat is causing problems. it took the first coat well enough but it doesnt like the second coat. will let it dry and see where we are at could be in for some sanding I think. its looking like its gonna be apply a coat let it dry and sand back before applying another. its gonna take longer than I expected thats for sure. Im thinking I should have used an enamel gloss. Im also thinking that rollering is probably best for solid color enamels. but in saying this I will have to wait for it to completely dry to know where im at. it has the mirror shine . but it looks wet and the surface doesnt look as even as it could be,it hasnt got ripples. I will let it completely dry before deciding what to do next. lol

phalanax, Sep 6, 4:43pm
Im thinking a cutting compound might be required at some point. to smooth out the gloss coat. at the moment just gonna let it dry. need some sunshine tomorrow. lol

phalanax, Sep 6, 5:03pm
Ok ive managed to figure out what it is. 'orange peel'. Im thinking it should be ok. its not that bad and probably just a side effect of rollering it. Im gonna go ahead and whack a few more coats of clear on. finish off clear coating it. and will leave it a few days to completely dry out. I really need some sunlight tomorrow or the next day. lol

marte, Sep 7, 2:00am
'Orange peel'. Lol.
A cobber had his white Cortina repainted '@ mates rates' once.
Afterwards it looked like a bloody golf ball.

kecal, Sep 7, 6:30am
had a freind whos parents had just painted their house pink had a bit of paint left over ,so he did his whole car in pink with a brush, looked okay better on the car than the house . lucky the car was nothing to glow about, way back in the late 70s,

emd-253, Sep 7, 2:56pm
My father brush painted his falcon many years ago, the secrets to success were, buy the very best brushes and keep the paint very warm. He did such a good job it was hard to find any brush marks.

phalanax, Sep 7, 8:15pm
Osren will help me sort it. lol
Gonna leave it for a week . before doing an 'Osren' on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtCGCgJsrIk
I figure I dont have much to worry about , the roller coats are much thicker than spray would do.

phalanax, Sep 7, 8:30pm
Some folk used to use brasso to get rid of the sanding marks on a brush applied enamel clear gloss.

gunhand, Oct 2, 3:48am
Having been a auto painter for much of my adult life, plus furniture painter and other types of painting all I can say is OMG lol. However, if you did use the correct paints, procedures and had plenty of time you could achieve a very very good finish indeed. Metallic though, just don't see that working to well with a roller. I have never seen orange peel completely flattened with just a polisher, made shiner, yes. You can use non automotive products to polish, I tried jiff once for a laugh, it worked, but why would you?
But good on you for having a go and if you are happy far be it from me to criticize. Which is not what Im doing.