Air bag warning light

jaden1993, Jan 27, 2:14pm
Hi all,
I have a 2003 xr6 falcon and when I turn it on my air bag light flashes a number of times and then stays on. Is there any simple fix i can try before taking it in to a auto electrician? thanks

curlcrown, Jan 27, 2:22pm
In some cars the flashing gives a code. Google might help. If it has airbags in the front seats try jiggling the conections under the seat or un plug then plug back in agian with the key out of the car.

onl_148, Jan 27, 2:24pm
The number of times it flashes could be a code for what is wrong. Maybe Mr Google can help by searching "ford" + "xr6" + "air bag light flashing". That may help decide if it is a job for a ford mechanic or auto sparkie or diy !
Flashing of the air bag light may also be a signal for a fault with some other bit of the car and flashing the air bag light is just a easy to notice / convenient light to flash !

muppet_slayer, Jan 27, 2:45pm
This^^^
There should also be a sensor at the front bumper for head ons, maybe unplug and plug that one a couple of times too.

muppet_slayer, Jan 27, 2:49pm
Found this on a ford site.

"When the Restraints Control Module (RCM) detects a system fault, it will cause the airbag indicator to flash a coded sequence; a lamp fault code (LFC). The code is two digits. The first digit is flashed with a 0.5 second interval between ppulses. There is a 2 second pause before the second digit is flashed which also has a 0.5 second interval between pulses. There is a 5 second pause between each display of an LFC. Each lFC is flashed five times after which the airbag indicator will remain lit for the remainder of the key-on cycle. If there ate multiple LFC's, each LFC will flash in order of priority.

A DTC, or Diagnostic Trouble Code, will also register for each LFC. The DTC can only be read by the Diagnostic Tool."

Something like this. flash, flash, flash. long pause. flash, flash would be code 32, and so on.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 2:50pm
You need to work out what is actually wrong.
Then source the part and fit it
THEN clear the airbag code so the light stops flashing.
So yea in most cases the repair is well within home mechanic capabilities but the reset usually involves a decent scanner

kingfisher21, Jan 27, 4:18pm
Connectors under the seat, disconnect the battery then unplug the connectors under the front seats, clean them and re-connect, re-connect the battery, it may take a couple of cycles to get the light to go out, common as fault with AU and BA Falcons.

franc123, Jan 27, 5:32pm
Find out what the fault code actually is first before playing with anything. Yes it could well be front seat connectors but be sure first.

rodeorunch, Jan 27, 10:29pm
Or clock spring.
Is the horn still working

oversize, Jan 31, 11:51am
I'd suggest before 'jiggling' any wiring is you should disconnect the battery

intrade, Jan 31, 12:50pm

thedevil1, Feb 4, 8:31am
Replace the Drivers seatbelt stalk. Sensor is inside the stalk. Happened to me.

elect70, Sep 17, 6:04pm
yes ive had 2 cars do this & good clean of seat belt underseat conectors fixed it , Worth trying first