02 Civic CVT shudder?

stevo2, Feb 15, 8:51pm
Son in law is looking at buying an 02 Civic off a family member for his runabout to get to work and back (when he finds a job). It has the obligatory Honda transmission shudder along with a couple of other issues.
I remember Kaz and a couple of others saying there was a cheap fix on these but I cant remember what it was. Maybe an additive or something?
If its a major he will steer clear but for something quick and cheap, it may be worth a punt. Will be around $1500 and somewhere in the 100 to 120,000km range owned by an oldie.
Cheers Stevo

andy61, Feb 15, 9:32pm
I would steer clear of that model - get the manual if it must be a 02ish Civic. My dad foolishly bought one a couple years back , the transmission had a horrible rattle on take off ,shuddered badly etc, he changed the fluid several times, then dismantled the transmission ,replaced some parts to try fixing the issues which didnt help ,then gave up and sold it to a wrecker. The CVT magic additives wont help .

tine0212, Feb 15, 9:41pm
i used that xado revitalizant on an 05 fit with terrible takeoff shudder when flooring it. it fixed it. guy before me had it serviced a couple times at honda dealership , they couldn't fix it. i would definitely give it a go, only about $45

nesta129, Feb 15, 10:12pm
the xado is hit and miss but worth trying.
otherwise if the transmission is the same as the honda fit one,its a $2K fix.

intrade, Feb 16, 10:17am
honda all including old automatic use honda specific fluids-oils. for rebuild www.cvt.co.nz

kazbanz, Feb 16, 12:07pm
There is a product surprisingly called Shudderfix you buy from Autostop.
For a $1000 car I'd say nothing ventured nothing gained.
Do be aware you need to put a few miles on the clock once you have used the stuff. Preferably lots of stop /start so the plates open and close a few times.
It is also not a FIX as such but as a patch it seems to work for a fairly long time

bantam3, Feb 16, 2:53pm
Mums Jazz 2003 had being back to dealer a few times and the shudder keep coming back. My mechanic put the $50 shot of additive in it and it disappeared.

intrade, Feb 16, 8:40pm
cvt?

stevo2, Feb 17, 5:42am
Thanks to all that have replied.
Oldmate has just come back with a change of mind and said he's not sure if he's ready to sell his Civic yet, even though he cant drive anymore. He must be still quite attached to it since he bought it as a fresh import 12 years ago.
Thats a shame as it would make an ideal runabout for Son in law.
Thanks again
Cheers Stevo

kazbanz, Feb 17, 10:29am
What is the young fella's budget?

stevo2, Feb 17, 11:02am
him and my daughter want a family vehicle and a runabout for up to $20k for the pair. She would like to spend bigger on her vehicle and not too much on his.

kazbanz, Feb 17, 11:08am
Ahh I thought that one was well in bed.

joanie32, Feb 17, 1:50pm
Do you know the spec for this honda specific oil by chance?

Is it extremely expensive?

stevo2, Feb 17, 6:03pm
Not yet Kaz. Niether of them have jobs yet although he's interviewing every day. Just been outta isolation about a week. One of our daughters has loaned them a spare Commodore they have until they buy their own vehicles so there's no rush. They will probably buy the good vehicle through a dealer but the cheapie may well be a private sale.

ang_ck, Feb 19, 1:25pm
i owned a Civic auto that had for 250k km on the clock and still going, until wifey drove it into a basketball pole.

We have another one now, 2004, going strong. What we do are (a) regular service (b) change transmission fluid as per Honda instruction and use only Honda fluid.

intrade, Feb 19, 8:00pm
it will be as per gearbox code dr john kelly mentions honda oil also i think in his atf gearbox dexron series
have in head 125 doller a liter honda oil but that was non cvt trans.
here is oil for one of the honda trans from rebuilders.
https://cvt-parts.co.nz/honda-cvt-oil-5ltr-can/

intrade, Feb 19, 8:05pm
yup save to only use geniuen honda . oem fluids

joanie32, Feb 20, 8:13pm
You do realise Honda don’t make their own fluids?

It’s blended by an oil company

And often absolutely no different to what they package for other resellers.

intrade, Feb 20, 8:28pm
yes and china will put you a honda sticker on redstamp warhouse oil if you ask and pay them. that does not make it the correct fluid.

joanie32, Feb 20, 8:35pm
Nor does buying it from someone in NZ

That’s whacks their own sticker on a 5L that they’ve decanted.

If you want good oil

Go to a good oil manufacturer

realtrader1, Feb 20, 8:37pm
The issue is only about whether the particular fluid to be used ACTUALLY meets Honda's specifications. If it does not then you obtain a fluid that does. It does NOT have to be genuine Honda fluid but it obviously can be though the price will be elevated. Castrol, Nulon etc WILL have a fluid that meets the spec.

joanie32, Sep 11, 3:11pm
Exactly