Signs that someone doesn't want to buy your car?

Page 1 / 2
curlcrown, Jan 3, 6:24pm
"Can you send me some more pictures"? "Can you bring it to my house to show me"? Anything that requires the use of a tape measure. "why are you selling it"? Any more I have missed.

sw20, Jan 3, 6:26pm
Will you take $3k today, cash?!

I remember selling my Clio 172 10 years ago. Some bloke offered me like $5500 for it when I had the buy now at $9000. When I declined he was less than courteous with the reply saying I was dreaming at that price. Sold it the week later for the $9000, so I screenshot the sold page and sent it to him.

laurelanne, Jan 3, 6:53pm
My standard reply is. The vehicle is for sale, I will negotiate, but I am not giving it away.

cjohnw, Jan 3, 7:10pm
Exactly.
I usually say something like:
I am willing to consider all REALISTIC offers.

spead, Jan 3, 7:46pm
ignore them

franc123, Jan 3, 8:04pm
People who do that are usually backyard dealers. He wanted you to wear the cost of how much he wanted to mark it up.

franc123, Jan 3, 8:08pm
I think you can divide this into two categories, the ones that show up to view it and those that don't. The ones that do show up often try to pick holes in what you are selling, the ones that dont ask all sorts of questions yet very rarely turn into bidders or buyers even though you provide satisfactory (or even good) answers.

kazbanz, Jan 3, 8:55pm
Every day same story .

tgray, Jan 4, 7:24am
1. Do you have any other cars for sale?
2. 'I will think about it and get back to you' (and they didn't even test drive it).
3. It's for my son, so I will bring him over and if he likes it, I will ring up my brother to come and check it out and if he likes it, we will organise an AA inspection.
4. 'We have only just started looking for a car'.

tgray, Jan 4, 7:28am
Often a pre requisite to low balling you.
I turn it around and say, "there's an easy solution to this - don't buy it".
Or another common one I use "It's a used car, in used condition at a used price".

tgray, Jan 4, 7:51am
As a dealer, All my ads say NO OFFERS.
This way I keep control of the selling process, I know exactly what margin I will make and I'm not wasting my time or there's with people coming over, test driving and then making silly offers.
Worked for 20 years and 4,500 sales and counting.

budgel, Jan 4, 10:04am
I had a guy that came and looked over my car and came up with a long list of trivial negatives. I profusely apologised for wasting his time with such a crap car and said I hoped the guy coming over in 10 minutes didnt feel the same.
He then started backtracking on the negatives, so I had a bit of fun and said that in good conscience I wouldnt feel right selling it to him. Totally flustered he came up with the figure I had in my mind, and the deal was done.
We parted on good terms, he wasnt an a$$hole, just inexperienced.
I always remind myself that I need only one buyer, and it doesnt matter what they are like.
As far as questions on auctions go, I just answer them as quickly and honestly as I can, I only need one buyer and anyone will do!

jaydeess, Jan 4, 10:24am
When i sold one of my boats, I knew what it was, I knew what it was worth, I knew that with the amount of interest in the boat it was priced well and i was correct. When a bunch of guys tried to low ball me i just said no thanks, with no negotiation and shuffled them out the front gate. As i was shutting the garage door they were yelling out to me, wait a minute. Lets talk. they paid the asking price.

dlmckay, Jan 4, 10:36am
Low ball you and then want you to deliver it - 200km away.

saxman99, Jan 4, 10:42am
HeY cuZ duz it gO HarD n u Keen fOr SwapZ wi a MeanAz CiVIc bRo?

jaydeess, Jan 4, 11:25am
This :-)

kazbanz, Jan 4, 11:34am
Actually to be honest mate they are ALL a chance to move a lot closer to a sale.
1) Reply.--What is it you are particularly needing to see?
2) No problem whatsoever.if you like the car will you buy it?
3) precisely what measurements are important to you?
4) I guess that's a question we aren't likely to be asked

boat3, Jan 4, 12:48pm
has it got "soundz"?

toenail, Jan 4, 1:05pm
I'm just looking for my cuzzies husbands son-in-law who lives 300km away.

mechnificent, Jan 4, 1:11pm
You sound like a man that's been in business.

tgray, Jan 4, 2:00pm
The people I respect are the ones that say to my face, thanks for your time but this is not the car for me. I don't care if they buy my car or not, but being honest and upfront is great.
Instead you get the "i'll think about it" line or 'we will let you know'. You know before they even realise it themselves, that they will never contact you again.

saxman99, Jan 4, 5:27pm
NaH man it haD wiked as SounDZ bt I flikd theM tO pay bak My Gf mum baiL money Lolz

marte, Jan 4, 11:58pm
When they bring their mates with them, who are more interesting in what else is on the property & in your garage/workshop.
They ask "Want to sell just the mags?" While carefully inspecting the wheel nuts.
Want to know the best time to come around ( hint, it's the opposite of what time you would say you would be there ) and "if there's another set of keys?"
Want to know 'if they can’ pay it off next week".
Will do the 'Change of ownership' themselves because they " forgot to bring their ID".

Yeah, don't sell your car on Facebook.

budgel, Jan 5, 11:35am
Just a self employed chippie.

alowishes, Jan 5, 1:05pm
Exactly!
I’ve also seen Facebook car swaps that went sour for one of the persons involved - what a surprise.