Honda Integra surging in 'Park'

firemansgirl, Jul 26, 1:23pm
I have a 1995 Integra that had been parked up for the best part of 2 years, with only about 500km done in that time. Just got it registered and a new WOF and a brand new battery (because I forgot to disconnect the old one). Drove it around last weekend and all good but today whilst on a test drive, it's surging when in park. It's not surging whilst driving. Also, from Park to Reverse is a little clunky, this is new too. Is this likely to be because it's been parked up? Would a few decent long drives help? Should I get a mechanic to tune it maybe?

intrade, Jul 26, 1:32pm
ok the clunking could be because the rpm is to high to confirm this mesure the transmission fluid i am not 100% if the fluid on a honda is also mesured with engine running like all other autos from 90s are.
The high rpm could be a few things like a vacuum leak . high rpm could also be clunking as the speed from the engine is higher as it should be to engage the transmission. if you follow me.

msigg, Jul 26, 1:41pm
Yes, new fuel,take for some good runs, get the trans and engine nice and hot, this will do it good. You may need to give it some nice new oil as well, it will love you for it.

firemansgirl, Jul 26, 1:57pm
Thank you both. I'm pretty sure it's nothing major and thought it might be related to being left unloved for 2 years! I have sold it this afternoon to someone but I didn't want her having a 'lemon'. Hand on heart I'd not sell a vehicle with 'issues'. I'm actually sad to see the car go.

therafter1, Jul 26, 2:08pm
I have encountered this issue occasionally on Honda's in the 90's and discovered that the coolant level in the radiator was low, topped up and bled cooling system and problem solved, then pressure tested cooling system and found slight coolant weeps here and there (around tired/loose old hose clamps etc) and problem never ever resurfaced, so worth a shot.

Only check coolant level in radiator when the system is stone cold. If the radiator is low then there is an issue somewhere and the issue needs to be sourced and resolved.

firemansgirl, Jul 26, 2:20pm
Hi, I checked coolant levels when I bought the new battery (before lockdown) and checked it again last week before taking it for a WOF. Also, the radiator was replaced with a brand new one a couple of years back. Hoses were replaced too, rather than old ones re-fitted. Thanks for your reply.

bigfatmat1, Jul 26, 4:53pm
Is it surging to 1500rpm down to normal idle and then back up?

yz490, Jul 26, 9:06pm
My "94 5 cylinder 2.5 Honda did that & another 2 liter one i had did it too years ago & each time its been because of the automatic choke cold start device which is a cone shaped device under a two screw top & is controlled by radiator water temp with a very small thermostat under it to push the cone up that controls the air. The cone adjustable top part [not the cap] had very slowly unscrewed which increases the cold start idle revs & when it eventually self winds up beyond what it can handle it surges--as in-- rev cut rev cut rev cut & carries on like that until i fixed it but screwing down the cone outer bit. Cone outer needs winding down to a set the cold idle speed. It can be screwed right down which stops any high cold idle but think it still richens it up--just not speeding it up. With mine i'd been playing around with the cold idle speed so the )ring around the adjustable bit had gone flat & brittle with age so think i started the problem by moving it in the first place. Eventually the hot water pipe to the base of it rusted off & then it wouldn't slow down at all as the air part stayed open [cone down]. So came up with another plan for that--another story. Might be nothing to do with yours but sounds similar. I just randomly googled & this video shows the item in about the first10 seconds. The rest of it isn't directly related to my problem but shows it all dismantled except the little thermostat which ! hoped he was going to show. For some reason when i replay it it starts further in but might be because i was seeing where that bit is that shows it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=Me99GpGF_1I&feature=emb_logo

franc123, Jul 26, 10:15pm
I would be VERY suspicious of air locks in the cooling system since its had that work done. Having the coolant at the correct level in the radiator and in the overflow tank is no guarantee that air isnt trapped in there.

bigfatmat1, Dec 16, 6:18pm
this is a very common cause. I have often mentioned this on here but other people have always told me I dont know what I am talking about lol.