Car dip stick will not go into the hole.

Page 1 / 2
maclad, Sep 24, 5:49pm
Can't remember car make but a 2003 a very young foreign tourist bought off Trade me 2 weeks ago. She was chatting to me today and saying that she cannot get the oil dip stick to go in it's hole. After purchase she found the dip stick sitting in the car boot. I investigated and found you can push it in about 6" or so and then there is a very solid clunk and resistance and it goes no further. I can only see this car causing her concerns and worry until it finally runs out of oil and seizes. Any help appreciated as she now has no idea of how much oil to put in the car. Should she go back to TM and ask for her money back. Or what cold the issue be?

skiff1, Sep 24, 5:57pm
Red car? Notorious for this fault. Did this person buy a car without even checking the oil, the most basic level of inspection conceivable? If so, no they should not get their money back.

mazalinas, Sep 24, 6:01pm
Try facing the dipstick different ways before you put it in.

tamarillo, Sep 24, 6:07pm
From dealer the yes take it back. Private I would riNg or email them And ask about it. Why is it in boot?
Because it was in boot one assumes it does not fit and is wrong one but yes worth fiddling with it.
If indeed it’s wrong get right one from wreckers.

kazbanz, Sep 24, 6:21pm
Im curious as to why theres a tourist in Tauranga when its only kiwi's sposed to be coming into NZ

maclad, Sep 24, 6:32pm
An innocent and naieve you girl learning a hard lesson, she purchased without assistance and fell in. Guessing there is no way she can reasonably drive this car safely. I will talk with her and see if she can go see the seller

kazbanz, Sep 24, 6:35pm
AGAIN--on what basis is a tourist from overseas in New Zealand?
On the car front. sorting out the dipstick could be a simple thing. With no indication of make/model its impossible to offer advice

intrade, Sep 24, 6:39pm
actuarly the border is open i just looked real cheap flights The problem would be the 3 k border quarantaine. its 1000 doller to europe via malaisia with emirates so be 600 bux the other way as the nz doller is as good as worthless now.

msigg, Sep 24, 6:39pm
Drain the old oil and put new oil in at the required quantity as in the manual. Or try a longer piece of firm wire and measure how far it goes. The flat type dip stick may be the wrong one. Yea do some research.

toyboy3, Sep 24, 7:19pm
May find a broken dipstick is jammed in the engine, need to drop the sump and check

sw20, Sep 24, 8:14pm
Unless you are a citizen or resident or have a billion dollar production in NZ you aren't getting in.

bill1451, Sep 24, 8:17pm
easy fix, go to a wrecker (auto dismantler) get a dipstick for whatever the make of car, and compare it for length, I would say its the wrong dipstick for that car, and car dealer is dodgy(not doing his job)

pauldw, Sep 24, 9:49pm
Looking online it's surprising how many times the plastic knob breaking off leaving the stick in the hole seems to happen. Nissans get mentioned a few times. Some get the broken bit out by either screwing into the plastic or heating a wire and poking it into the plastic.

kazbanz, Sep 24, 10:49pm
. Or there’s some not quite truth being told ;

richardmayes, Sep 25, 12:18am
Something's not right, with young foreign tourists I've never had much difficulty getting the dipstick to go into the hole.

yz490, Sep 25, 12:42am
#15 wish i knew how to work the emoticons lol. On a serious note, is the dipstick in the boot the original with the tip broken off & stuck down there--i think so. So is the dipstick tube removable easily complete with the broken tip. Hope it ends well for her if it's basically a good car.--whatever model it is.

mazalinas, Sep 25, 12:45am
Urgh.

maclad, Sep 25, 6:09am
Thanks all, I will talk to her today and try the wire.

gazzat22, Sep 25, 10:48am
Its obviously the wrong dipstick or she is trying to put the dipstick for the Auto gearbox(if it is auto) into the hole for the motor. as in #12 go to a wrecker.

intrade, Sep 25, 10:56am
what do you mean work the emoticons
they are below the text you right a reply you see the black dot you just select the emoticon you want or cclick the blue Show more button and select the one you wish by clicking in the empty circle to make it the black dot next to that emoticon and post message

theo35, Sep 25, 11:14am
I think they mean these ones 😆

pauldw, Sep 25, 12:13pm
The top of the existing stick could have broken letting it drop part way down the tube. The one in the boot could be the replacement.

shortee2, Sep 26, 11:46am
There are thousands of so called Tourists, still in NZ, They are quite happy to stay here, until its safe to return home, plus the Government has extended, their Visas. There are NO TOURISTS Entering NZ.

intrade, Sep 26, 12:11pm
😆😆😆😆 left click move mouse over to make it blue highlighted right click copy go to where ever you write and hit right click button paste
😆😆😆😆
where to find em thats another story that i dont know.
i always like the yahoo one with animation where a fist comes and punches him a blue eye. but they wont work here that was back in 2004 or so when tradme had its own live chat.
my faforite one is from yahoo messanger punch down right side a fist comes and gives him a black eye

they wont work here yahoo messenger is R.I.P as far as i know. i still have it on my amd duron that needs new caps to resurect i might do that when i got some time once.
https://www.smileysymbol.com/2012/03/yahoo-all-smiley-codes.html

intrade, Sep 26, 12:28pm
found a functional site for yahoo emoticons its called beat up down there doubt they work on here however.
http://www.emoticonr.com/emoticons/yahoo http://www.emoticonr.com/design/yahoo/beat-up.gif
here is one that works for sure
(__!__)