Towbar installation .

bennybullet, Apr 30, 9:25pm
Hi I have a kia sportage LX urban 2018 and want to put a towbar on it. How much for a towbar to be fitted approx in Hawkes Bay Thanks

nice_lady, May 1, 7:31am
Supplied and fitted or just fitted?

intrade, May 1, 8:42am
1200$ at a guess you need a towbar computer module to be paired up to the cars stabiltity system= on some cars its plug and play like westfalia to older mercedes. As where on volkswagen needs coding with factory scantool. If there is no computer module fitted it is done wrong and will cause stability problems potentially lead to crashing and death if the trailer jack-knives due to the stability control not knowing when a trailer is hooked up.
I dont know what kia use but westfalia makes canbus modules for a lot of cars and is the main global player .
If they tell you and want to not fit a whole computer for towing then its done wrong. There used to be loads of hacks out there .
Like the trailer thing i cut out of the mercedes in limp mode when the instructions clearly did say not for canbus
and they used the canbus as earth for this non canbus unit. That was some years ago, so who knows how much they have learned by now.

intrade, May 1, 8:50am
this is guranteed the westfalia unit. my passat one says VW and small westfalia and the box looks like this.
westfalia are fully integrated non itrusive well intrusive to install as you got to add new fuses to the fusebox and fit the wire thru the whole vag model but no choping wirers or hacking up factory wiring with westfalia addons.
Jaeger is another supplyer but they look to be more of potentially hacking up factory wiring. and then there is full hackjobs that could work and could cause massive problems down the line.
https://www.just-tow.co.uk/product/kia-sportage-aug-2010-to-feb-2016-7-pin-dedicated-towbar-wiring-kit/

your model is newer but thats what you need that alone is 500$+ instalation plus programm coding . long wires mean got to feed it all the way up front in the the body controller unit.
mercedes had a rear sam computer to patch it on to with fuses and dedicated towbar slot.

martin11, May 1, 8:52am
$730 incl gst in Auckland fitted, must be some where near you about the same price

https://www.aucklandtowbars.co.nz/kia-sportage-2016-2018-suv.html

intrade, May 1, 8:58am
#5 i would like to see what ecu wiring they use.
125 pounds is basically 250$ from my uk google link. below the small box looks like jager product.
bosal also make some but not found with google to quickly

vtecintegra, May 1, 9:02am
Cost about $400 for the dealer to have a bar fitted on my 2015 Sonata (was a little more because some extra module is needed for the LED tail lamps but presumably the dealer gets a discount over retail anyway)

Note that was only a 1200kg bar whereas I think the car is rated for a little more than that so make sure the bar you get quoted for is sufficient for your usage.

rjmeikle, May 1, 9:15am
Just had one fitted with wiring this week $735 by a mobile guy. We are in Taupo but went to Hamilton. KIA wanted 1200, Local here wanted over a 1000 so went shopping as well. They also do Tauranga and Rotorua.

franc123, Aug 14, 6:02pm
Do not fit aftermarket towbars and wiring/modules to vehicles still under warranty, it is a big no no, no matter what the aftermarket installer will tell you. Ask your local Kia agent for a price and pay that price.