Grrr house paint overspray on new car

Page 1 / 2
kyussr32, Mar 27, 8:48pm
Just had our brand new Vitara 2 weeks and visiting Mum today, her neighbor had painters spraying eaves. Our car was covered in white dust, most came off tonight with a gentle wash but there's still a million tiny specks that will move with a gently rub of the fingernail but not with a cloth.
Any solutions or is it a full cut and polish job?

gunhand, Mar 27, 9:02pm
Good luck, pick each one off or try a hard machine buff with course polish then finner ones. Been there done that. If its gone hard its painful. Buffing can just run over the little suckers though. There is another way but not for faint hearted or amateurs. Maybe someone knows a better way and id like to hear it as well.
When I was a paramedic I went to guy who put his leg between ladder rungs while falling off ( think of what that does to a leg) and he had also split a 10 liter of white paint over his nice newish blue car. He was saying oh don't worry bout it. I told him, do worry get someone hosing it now or your car could be a right off, it was still very wet. Mind you one assumes it was insured.

s_nz, Mar 27, 9:09pm
Something for an insurance claim?

kyussr32, Mar 27, 9:22pm
Just reading up on clay bars, apparently they might do the trick. I might try a little area tomorrow.

curlcrown, Mar 27, 9:29pm
A clay block was what I was thinking of as soon as I saw the title of this thread.

callum.irvine, Mar 27, 9:42pm
I knew a guy who has a full time job sorting these out. I remember seeing his van painted up explaining what he does. I thought "What a weird niche thing. Surely this happens so rarely you can't make a business from it?" But he told me he's absolutely overrun with work as people increasingly get their houses spray painted and the neighbours end up with a free paint job as well. Helpfully I can't remember the name of his business. He covered the Waikato, but said others did the same thing in all areas of the country. But yes, I distinctly remember clay bars being mentioned that he used.

kazbanz, Mar 28, 3:59am
Defini8tely an insurance claim by then home owner.

saxman99, Mar 28, 8:32am
Some years ago my neighbour was having some spray-painting done and the painter was good enough to knock on my door and warn me that I might want to move my car for exactly this reason. A very simple but decent thing to do.

trade4us2, Mar 28, 10:09am
A contractor accidentally put paint all over dozens of police cars in Takapuna. I phoned the cops and they all rushed out and washed their cars.
Turps usually cleans off fresh paint, oil or water based.

amasser, Mar 28, 10:31am
From the home owner who would then claim from the painter?

kyussr32, Mar 28, 12:01pm
Update- claybar is working well removing the paint. Labour intensive though, pretty much my whole Sunday gone.
I'm still going to contact the house owner- the spray got on my Mums and Aunties cars, both are in their late 70s and will have to get theirs cars professionally detailed.
Can you still upload photos on this messageboard?

nesta129, Mar 28, 1:28pm
yes you can still upload photos.And I hope you took photos of your car with the paint on it before you used a claybar on it.Did the claybar marr the paintwork though? rubbing hard on the paint with the claybar can do that,a nice polish after fixes it.

kyussr32, Mar 28, 2:21pm

toenail, Mar 28, 4:02pm
turps will eat through top coat and paint really fast. been there done that

toenail, Mar 28, 4:08pm
Why didn't you just ring your car insurance and have them take care of it. so you don't have to waste your own weekend and be out of pocket for the products.

in addition, use a polymer sealent on the paint (instead of wax), nothing will stick to the car, and whatever dirt can be just blasted off as it forms a hydrophobic layer.

autumnwinds, Mar 28, 4:42pm
Wouldn't that rather depend on his insurance excess. ?

gabbysnana, Mar 28, 4:44pm
cos you are required to mitigate your loss.

noodleman4, Mar 28, 5:28pm
This happened to me at work with a contractor , they accidentally oversprayed 4 cars their insurance sorted it out no problem, some window wipers were replaced as well as a tonneau cover on a ute.

car__parts, Mar 28, 5:38pm
Cutting the surface may not work to well as it is probably water based house paint, can be very hard to get off.

kyussr32, Mar 28, 5:43pm
Yea $400 excess, had to spend $100 on products and 7 hours today.

But- came out good, looks just like new after a wax. Clay bar was easy to use, just time intensive.

cabrio1, Mar 28, 6:30pm
If it's latex based paint Goof off latex paint remover works well.
Back in the day I covered a whole carpark in downfall.
Saved my bacon.

kazbanz, Mar 29, 10:48am
I really don't understand why you would get involved in any way in a paint repair on a nearly new car. This clearly was an insurance claim against whoever did the painting. (tired eyes I thought it was the neighbour)
Im not being mean spirited but with nearly new car paint I would expect a professional repair to the standard required by the manufacturer. The concern being ongoing issues

lookoutas, Mar 29, 3:57pm
We've got exactly the same job to do, and thought clay-bar might be the answer.

Definitely go for insurance on the person responsible, especially as two other cars are involved. And they might cough up for yours as you have the pictures.
A days work is what we thought. It's a bit worst than yours though. Might have to go for more.

kyussr32, Mar 29, 4:21pm
I thought about insurance but as the droplets were very small and removed with a gentle rub of a fingernail I went ahead and did it. Has a look after a test area with a light and my reading specs and couldn't see and damage to the clear coat.

toenail, Mar 29, 9:34pm
There is no excess when not at fault, and this clearly wasn't his fault with identifiable owners and address of residency.